classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ADVICE ON PAINTING A GARAGE FLOOR
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use industrial paint (not the stuff you get at B&Q) it will never wear in a domestic garage, the stuff I used is designed for commercial workshops, the paint firm provided its own sealer , its a 2 pack (non toxic ) product, I think I applied it with a long handled brush and wasn't any more expensive than the stuff the DIY places sell.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did our warehouse with some floor paint I bought from a place in Derbyshire that I forget the name of, but still have somewhere if it was important. Their advice was to do the first coat in quite a weak mixture which would soak into the plain concrete, then once that had dried off, do another coat "neat". That seemed to work well, as I recall it lasted well for normal footfall though there were no vehicles in there.

I applied the paint using a normal paint roller on the end of a broom handle, but as it wasn't a smooth floor of course there were a lot of splashes. As I'd picked red paint, I wonder what people thought I'd been doing as I walked across to town to get some lunch covered in bright red spatter.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Floor paint Reply with quote

I painted my little garage floor with a two part epoxy paint recently. I bought the paint on ebay and the paint and advice was very good. I washed the central oily area down with strong detergent and allowed it to dry for a week. The first coat was too thick and really needed thinning so I thinned the second coat which was a joy to roller on The finished floor is really hard and easy to clean although surprisingly slippery when oily or wet. Would do it again without hesitation.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I know this is too late for you but to help others:---
Would the slipperyness be countered by brushing sand over the first coat while it is still tacky and then using a second coat to seal the sand in yet still allow oil etc to be wiped off while still giving an element of grip?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
andycars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the dangers of a slippery floor when using jacks, stands and ramps; if using the latter ensure the car is up to the stop - if on the sloping part the weight of the car can cause the ramp to shoot out under force with serious consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: