classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can anyone recommend a good barrier cream?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Can anyone recommend a good barrier cream? Reply with quote

Can anyone on the forum recommend a good barrier cream to try and protect my hands from the sort of oily greasy things that our old cars are such a varied source of? I've never got on with gloves for working in (though I use them for washing up these days Laughing) but my hands are really starting to suffer these days. Ideas?
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father worked for London Underground at Acton Works and used to bring me home Swarfega (green) for washing hands and Rozalex (pink) as a barrier cream, worked a treat and you can still get it. Rozalex Dri Guard. It's quite hard and it's a good idea to work it underneath your fingernails as you put it on.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good barrier cream? Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Can anyone on the forum recommend a good barrier cream to try and protect my hands from the sort of oily greasy things that our old cars are such a varied source of? I've never got on with gloves for working in (though I use them for washing up these days Laughing) but my hands are really starting to suffer these days. Ideas?

Have you tried nitrile, latex or vinyl disposable gloves. Although I started off a bit dubious, I've been using them for the last year or so and for most jobs on the car or away from it. My hands were suffering and getting some funny looks at work.
I've really got used to them. They do get ripped easily and your hands often end up wet with sweat and/or water that has leaked into a rip. But that just adds to the cleanliness when you take them off and moisturises your skin.
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with colwyn500—wouldn't be without my nitrile gloves. You can do the filthiest, most disgusting jobs and still have clean hands at the end.

Make sure to get the right size for a good close fit so that you don't have folds getting in the way at your fingertips. I'd suggest persevering with them. Buy a box of 100, and by the time you've used them up you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

Oh, by the way—don't buy the powdered variety. It's supposed to make them easier to put on, but is completely unnecessary and dries the skin.

Richard
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Rich, I'll certainly give the Rozalex a try as it seems widely available and looks to be the sort of stuff I'm after.

Colwyn500, Goneps - I've tried all the flavours of disposable gloves and can't get on with them. Sweating is a major issue, they don't come far enough over the wrist and I find they all tear far too easily to be useful. I'll use them for the worst jobs - bitumen or deskinning/straining paints - but for most car stuff I find them pretty useless. Leather riggers are handy to avoid skinned knuckles when tight fasteners suddenly let go, but are obviously no good for more delicate jobs.
Whitegoatie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Thanks for the replies, gents.

Rich, I'll certainly give the Rozalex a try as it seems widely available and looks to be the sort of stuff I'm after.

Colwyn500, Goneps - I've tried all the flavours of disposable gloves and can't get on with them. Sweating is a major issue, they don't come far enough over the wrist and I find they all tear far too easily to be useful. I'll use them for the worst jobs - bitumen or deskinning/straining paints - but for most car stuff I find them pretty useless. Leather riggers are handy to avoid skinned knuckles when tight fasteners suddenly let go, but are obviously no good for more delicate jobs.

As the others have said, Blue Nitrile gloves, they come in different sizes, get the right size and they work really well. I used them when I worked for Volvo, the only time they came off was for a P, or a cuppa. A box of them was the first thing I bought when I got my car. I wear them all the time in the garage, I would recommend you try them, and persevere with them. Depending on the task, a pair can last all day. Don't buy latex...
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky enough to have one of these in my garage

http://www.debgroup.com/uk/products/selector/dispenser/deb-3-step-skin-protection-centre-small-4l

I get the refills through Arco but to be honest it lasts a very long time.
For really mucky jobs, with solvents etc I use gloves but always buy them from a paint shop suppliers as they seem to last longer and dont fall apart when using solvents etc.

Kev
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ah wor a lad there wor no nitrile gloves & since then I have never been able to wear them due to the sweating. I do, however, use the best hand cleaner in the world, Comma Manista. I have never had any skin problems once I stopped using green Swarfega about 60years ago. I was told at the time that Swarfega was made from recycled petrolium products(?) I believe that the red Swarfega is different. All the best,JD.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnDale wrote:
When ah wor a lad there wor no nitrile gloves & since then I have never been able to wear them due to the sweating. I do, however, use the best hand cleaner in the world, Comma Manista. I have never had any skin problems once I stopped using green Swarfega about 60years ago. I was told at the time that Swarfega was made from recycled petrolium products(?) I believe that the red Swarfega is different. All the best,JD.

I've always liked Comma Manista for cleaning hands. Not the cheapest on the market but a little goes a long way so it works out more economical in the long run. I don't rate Swarfega products much TBH, but recently I've been trialling the citrus hand cleaner from Bilt-Hamber (who do a good line in rustproofing waxes and suchlike) which seems to be quite fair for the money.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JD
Red Swarfega now has a grit component in it, BUT i think it might be micro polymer bits which I have heard get through the screens at the treatment plants and thus enter the water courses and then the sea and finish up being ingested by micro organisms which are then absorbed up through the food chain into the fish we eat.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi JD
Red Swarfega now has a grit component in it, BUT i think it might be micro polymer bits which I have heard get through the screens at the treatment plants and thus enter the water courses and then the sea and finish up being ingested by micro organisms which are then absorbed up through the food chain into the fish we eat.

Another telling argument for nitrile gloves!

Richard
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found margarine to be good for getting semi dry paint and grease etc off. Wipe the excess off with a towel and then wash your hands with soap and water. I have psoriasis and things like swarfwega seem to start it off. Although it might sound odd,rubbing hand cream (I nick the wifes) in well before starting on a messy job seems to seal the skin and your hands clean up quicker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: