classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1950 A40 Devon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: 1950 A40 Devon Reply with quote

thought it was time to share my newest purchase a very tidy 1950 Austin A40 Devon interior is immaculate a tastefully done the paintwork looks good from a distance but is splitting and cracking mechanically everything is A1

_40_46_Pro_zps8wmro6kj.jpg.html][/URL]

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cracker - a sunroof model too, I think I saw that advertised somewhere as the reg. caught my eye (I know someone who abbreviates his name to Erd).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, that's the one that was advertised at a dealer near me for ages at £3500. I spoke to the chap who had it before, when I saw it coming the other way when I was driving my Somerset. Great to know it's in good hands, I had a good look over it when it was for sale and it looked in pretty decent condition with the exception of the crazing you mentioned.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. It is good to see such a nice example going to a good home.
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an update on the A40 have now had indicators fitted on brackets mounted under the bumpers to avoid any damage to body work unfortunately the thrust bearing has now started playing up so now gone back to garage to have a new clutch fitted photo,s to follow
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A40 latest the new clutch has been fitted and wipers fixed but unfortunately on its first run out I ended up loosing the clutch pedal only just managing to get home so back to the garage it went now been fixed and also new front brake cylinders and hoses as I was very unhappy with braking performance and unfortunately there has been no improvement I can honestly say that they are the worst brakes on any classic I have owned so if anybody has some advise on an upgrade to the system to improve it I would be very greatfull front brakes are hydrolic the rears are rod operated photo,s to follow
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes were never brilliant, but should be better than what you describe.

Check the bisector unit that operates the brakes. It is crucial that this is adjusted correctly. Details are given in the Austin A40 handbook. It will take awhile, but will give you decent brakes. My experience is that the clevis pins get worn and then accurate adjustment is almost impossible. Use a slightly oversize clevis pin and drill out the locations which will be elongated. This sounds complicated. but have a look under the car at the bisector mechanism and you will see what I mean.

When they are set up correctly, the adjustment will last for years. I replaced my clevis pins and bored out the locators in the nineteen nineties and have not needed to adjust since. My car is fully licenced but only drives a couple of thousand kms. per year.

I improved the actual braking on mine by fitting A70 brakes, but back in the nineteen seventies these were readily available from wreckers. Because of the profile of the larger brake drums, I had to fit wheels from the later column change A40. However, the hydro/mechanical system remains the same.

In the nineteen fifties, Austin used a lot of common/interchangeable parts on their various cars and it is probably possible to fit the later Cambridge front end parts including brakes. I do NOT know this for a fact, but it may be worth you checking this out!

Keith
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Keith some very useful information will look into doing that
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post on this subject stated that adjustment details are given in the A40 handbook. I should have said the A40 workshop manual. Sorry!

Keith
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised the new pics of my A40 in use

took the Devon out to sunday lunch at our favorite hostelry yet again the wipers have stopped working I may need to look at rewiring the A40 also I have no brake lights they are on constantly little niggles but so frustrating any ideas people
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, I don't remember how the brake light switch is actuated on the Devon. If it's via a chain link from a brake rod to the switch unit, it may well be adjustable by slackening off the chain connection and moving it along the rod slightly. If I think on I'll dig out my manual.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: