classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Nico Rosberg retires from F1 at 31!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Nico Rosberg retires from F1 at 31! Reply with quote

Well, well, well, did anybody see that one coming?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nico Rosberg retires from F1 at 31! Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
Well, well, well, did anybody see that one coming?

No, but can understand his reasons. I have never been a Nico fan but respect what he did as a F1 driver.

Contracts are made to be broken and I wonder who is looking at a move. Sebastian Vettel is far from happy, Kimi is too old, I think he said but then I always have to guess at what he just said.

So perhaps either of the Red Bull drivers, I don't see Mercedes taking on a rookie, the constructors championship is their No1 goal and need to maintain the run of 1-2 finishes.

Perhaps the Mercedes bosses will look at Valtteri Bottas, they already have connections and he has a calmness about him, but that would leave Williams without a top name driver and could effect sponsorship money.

So taking all this into consideration and with a lifetime of making correct hindsight postdictions.... I don't have a clue.

Last edited by Peter_L on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be xenophobic but I got the impression that Mercedes were desperate for Rosberg to win the title. He claims German nationality although he spent all of his life in Monte Carlo. They took Lewis's mechanics and gave them to Nico. Lewis seemed to be the only one to suffer mechanical problems so much so that he had to start at the back of the grid for using too many gearboxes and engines and still managed to finish 3rd. Then the had the engine blow in (was it) Malaysia. I smell conspiracy Shocked

Art
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
I smell conspiracy Shocked
Art

I believe that conspiracy was always going to mentioned in the event of Lewis not retaining the title but I take a different view.

Conspiracy only works if one person did the deed, whatever the deed may be, and that only one person ever knows about it. Nico could have been out of several races but the dice rolled in his favour. The penalties incurred by Lewis are "FIA man made" and in the good old days didn't exist. A driver could have as many new bits as the money would allow. Now Mercedes have a World Champion that no longer represents the team, so any conspiracy has slapped them in the face.

In 70 years of this life I am still coming up short with proof of any conspiracy theory. When asking a close confidant to give me the true story of an incident, he asked "can you keep a secret ?' .... "of course I can" was my reply, to which he added......... "and so can I !!"
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
At least he didn't do a "Schumacher" on Lewis in the last race.
Remember when Damien could have won but was taken out in the last race by the driver ahead of him in the points.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Remember when Damien could have won but was taken out in the last race by the driver ahead of him in the points.

Was that an Omen ?
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I was only joking about the conspiracy. If I had been Lewis I would have bunged one of the Manor or Haas drivers £M1 to take Nico out Senna style Very Happy

Art
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Peter,
I was only joking about the conspiracy. If I had been Lewis I would have bunged one of the Manor or Haas drivers £M1 to take Nico out Senna style Very Happy
Art

and my reply was in no way critical of your remark, but more to open the discussion of possible conspiracy, which in some forms of media of a much lower quality that OCC have degenerated into expletives separated by a few words.....
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi

1991 Australia from memory, and all season I have watched Hamilton moaning and complaining that he is getting secondary treatment. His way of slowing the field down on the last lap was not something I appreciated, but what will always stick in my mind is how he studiously regarded the TV screen after the race and refused to acknowledge or congratulate Nico. Such poor sportsmanship. It isn't as if he hasn't won the title before anyway. I am sure he was told to go and shake hands with Niko on the podium. I remember being in the drivers tent at the Revival and was chatting with "Papa Smurf" as he is known, Jensen Button, and what a pleasant down-to-earth chap he is. Hamilton had a table to himself with his bodyguards of course. No one except insiders were allowed near.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Conspiracy only works if one person did the deed, whatever the deed may be, and that only one person ever knows about it.

Surely not, isn't a conspiracy by definition something that involves more than one person? Can one conspire on their own?

I don't know a lot about F1, I think it's a bit weird that a major German manufacturer would go about it in the way that they have, with mechanical faults that paint their engineering in a bad light. Surely that would cause their reputation a lot of harm, and if they were going to do something underhand they'd do it in a way that pointed to the driver.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. You are correct that conspiracy is plural, in the way you mention. But I have found that conspiracy always comes out because someone tells someone else who tells ............ and so on.

and as per the idea that the car was fixed........ I don't think so.

.... did you know that the 95,000+ people who have worked at Area 51 have never ever admitted to the Alien space craft and crew that are held there, under armed guard for over 50 years. Obviously none of them related to my family who can't keep a family birthday party a secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: