classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hoses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
trampintransit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hoses Reply with quote

There seems to be so many horror stories about radiator hoses last no time at all .....what are thoughts generally on hoses? Avoid silicon? ( why?) and what of Kevlar reinforced ...I've heard bad reports about them too?

and where to get good quality rubber reinforced hoses that don't split after a year?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some Kevlar-reinforced hoses on my car, I was a bit annoyed that the ends are starting to crack around where they fit over the bead on the end of various fittings, but they do seem to be 15+ years old. So not infinite lifetime, but not an instant failure. I was told when I bought new ones for the project last year or the year before, the formulation has been changed to avoid this.

That said, a mate of mine has a similar age of car (1976 registered) and he's still running the original rubber hoses. So on that basis, if you could find NOS ones and could somehow confirm they've been stored well, that would be a good solution. Personally I don't like the silicon (or silicone, I'm never quite sure) hoses, even if you can find them in something other than electric blue, they're quite shiny. But that's just me, and sometimes you can cover them in black heatshrink tubing if they're not too bendy.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
if you could find NOS ones and could somehow confirm they've been stored well, that would be a good solution.

+1

I replaced the top radiator hose on my TR4 about 6 years ago because it was never replaced and I did not want it to burst when I went on a large trip. I had never replaced the hose before (owning the car 15 years before that).
Last year the top hose did split, luckily for me not far from home. This was not visible from the outside. I had not binned the old hose from 6 years ago so refitted this again.
After some investigation it turned out many more TR owners have had their newly top hose split after only a few years. Someone took the courage to get new hoses made to exact original spec, I have one of these and they look stronger. No problems so far. I still have the (very) old hose in the back of the car - you never know....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: