classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration software
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
millstone85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Restoration software Reply with quote

Can I ask if anyone knows of, or has tried any simple computer software that could be used by a hobby restorer. I have a few cars in various stages of restoration and am looking for a programme capable of coping with several vehicles, recording full chassis/ engine numbers etc. the prices of parts bought and services purchased. Perhaps the capability of recording contact details of suppliers. I would like it to be able to print out reports for each vehicle and it could perhaps be able to record fuel use but that isn't essential.
Being in the UK I would prefer if the currency recorded was in £. (I have found a few programmes from the US that might be suitable but only record in $) I have found a few programmes obviously aimed at business users that offer a lot more features than I require and at a price that no hobby user could afford!
Something simple and cheap - or free or am I asking too much?
Thanks
marknotgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um,

I don't wish to come across as a spammer (this being my first post), but I've been working on such an application all summer, being unable to work on my own car due to my young daughters. I've only been working on it when I've had the time and inclination, but I hope to have it ready by Christmas. It'd be useful to get some feedback as to what people would like from the application.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use such a programme, and guess that I never will because I would be frightened that they would be a little to time consuming. Therefore if I did use one, it would have to be simple and quick to use.

As I regularly buy in parts for my vehicles from several different counties, I use quite a lot of different currencies. But in the end, everything gets converted to this countries currency. Therefore the sign in front, be it £ or $ doesn´t matter. Seeing the $ sign therefore ends up being immaterial. I suppose that if I was being pedantic, I would like to see a feature that would allow me to see what I have paid and in which currency. Not using $ or £, but the terms GBP, USD, SEK and so on, and also the exchange rate at the time.

But, as I would also like to be able to record everything in the smallest detail, even the mistakes, I guess that a quick and easy programme would be impossible! Maybe the possibility of being able to include digital photos could help here?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple database would do me, and would be really quite easy to make given a little thought and time. I am unsure if I would like to use one as you would know how much money you have spent, that could be frightening!!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone sent me a copy of their product to evaluate - its still on the shelf unfortunately! I photograph things as I do them, but perhaps I jump between different vehicles too much, rather than stick to any one from beginning to end .. so being organised enough to keep strict records in a database may not be for me!!

Rick
Wingy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very organised either, but I think that might make software more attractive in my case....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: