classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New-age cut-off?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: New-age cut-off? Reply with quote

Ok we've had the old-age cut-off, how about a latest production year/decade after which you lose interest?

I can't say that much from the 1980s interests me in any way, enough to want to own one that is, with the odd exception I found most of the cars back then pretty dull and time hasn't really improved my likings for most cars of that era. There are certainly rarities from the 80s that I'm glad someone is saving, and it's interesting to see them at shows, but I don't hanker after (m)any from those years. So my cut-off is probably mid-70s, again with a few notable exceptions.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to limit my new age desires to the 1960s but having said that I really enjoyed my 2 litre Cavalier SRi from 1987 but I wouldn't swap my current modern for one.

Peter
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citroen BX my first company car that I could choose, previously I had what I was given or Citroen Xantia 2.1 turbo diesel my last company car both rather rare now.

Morris 8 two seater
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much from the 80's onwards interests me greatly, the notable exception being the 2CV, which is 1990's, albeit a throwback to the 1940's in design terms.
I like the Mk 2 Granadas, but couldn't quite bring myself to cherish a Cortina or a Sierra, but a Dolomite could appeal.
Boring Tucson SUV
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of this was easier to answer than this one - at least for me. For example, I love my classics and really I am a 50s/60's person, but looking back at the cars I have owned there are many I would like to own again. For example, the SRI 130 was a lovely car, sweet gearbox, plenty of power and only lacked power steering, but after a couple of years of owning it I could have arm-wrestled with Stallone. In the 70's I was stuck with company hacks, and I would dearly love to forget the Marinas I was forced to drive, but our little Midget was a ray of sunshine. In the 80s I was in my 30s/40s and that was when I had the means to buy what I liked. A 325 E30 Sport Beemer comes to mind, a 380 SL, (plank seats, by no means a sports car but, well, I could afford it) An M6, which should really have stayed in the garage when wet, one of the first Manta hatches, a Golf Mk 2 16v GTi (5-speed but a direct top - a pain on a long journey), but of all of the 80s cars I remember my little Jetta Mk 1 GLi. A Gti in drag you might say, with a humungous boot. So, may I be permitted to say the 80's but forgetting the 70's please?
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing much post 1980....except...
FIAT 126..Bis...

Maybe an 80's Volvo 740....before they went all eeel-ectronic?
A 3 series Beemer[not fussed which] for a practical daily....[as above]..providing it doesn't get overheated.

DAihatsu 4traks..preferably one from the 1990's, the Indy version....old school engines and mechanics, everything a Land Rover Defender ought to have been, but wasn't. They eventually got such trivia as EGRs and stuff, but really, old school engineering....plus, they were rated to tow one 'eck of a lot, by the manufacturer...farmer's friends. Proper lorry engine [not pinched from a car parts bin]..incredible titewad pensioner's transport...Potholes? Who cares....

Peugeot's 106, especially the plain-jane versions.
Skoda Estelles & Rapids

But nothing much else post 1980 or thereabouts.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to define a significant date, rather my interest fades with practically anything front-wheel-drive ... perhaps with the exception of a fwd Alvis or BSA Scout!
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the year that BMW stopped making the Z3 and brought out the ugly Z4 with the kicked in doors. (IMHO)

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New-age cut-off? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
... Ok, we've had the old-age cut-off, how about the latest production year/decade after which you lose interest? ...
RJ

Anything that does NOT have a computer in it.
100 years from now it will still be fixable.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would have to be 2000 when the Mini production ended, I would like a Mk1 Astra GTE or a Sunbeam Lotus ...

Dave
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule of thumb, anything introduced after 1975. Note the use of the word 'introduced', so stuff like Defenders, Caterhams and Morgans are fine long after this (or even now)
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around early seventies was the border for me because I strongly dislike the cheap plastics that were much in vogue back then. Think of horrible plastic dashes, knobs and seats. I still find this off-putting so that cut off date more or less stands.
But then I always find some cars I liked which were developed / introduced after that date. Like the seventies Lotus Elite / Eclat, Fiat X1/9, Rover SD1 and so on. I would not mind a late eighties XJS either.
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was in the 80's a couple of workmates left our computer company and went to another with a super car plan. Both of the chose Montego Turbos. One of them ran out of brakes on the A1 (I think) and T-boned a roundabout. That made a mess of him and the car. I often wonder how many (if any) survived and are still running. The guy that had the crash chose a SRI 130 after his recovery.

Art
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had quite a few vehicles since my first Austin Mini Van back in 1963. Since moving to Canada I have had others and "kind of" enjoy the power and comfort of my modern Dodge crossover. If however we may talk of "love affairs" with a motor car, then it would have to be the Vauxhall Senator 3.0 24V. It was still young in 1994 and a company in Leicestershire "breathed on the EMS" for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: