classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Our cars and LPG (split)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Reading around, it appears that Shell are in the process of removing LPG from their forecourts, instead giving preference to hydrogen and EV charging points. I've noticed the availability of LPG pumps is declining, I can drive from here to London and not pass a single pump without diverting miles from my route.

Here's the Shell/Autogas de-commissioning schedule:

https://autogaslimited.co.uk/the-current-situation

I've written to the head of Shell, the Transport Sec, and the local MP. I doubt it'll do any good, but I feel better for raising it.

RJ
Their decision will undoubtedly be made on economic grounds.We do a lot of work with the oil companies world wide and they are all struggling; price of oil has plummeted, less travel due to Covid19 and shift towards electric vehicles.
Presumably the cost of maintaining an LPG retail supply infrastructure just isn't viable anymore Sad

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Shell filling station have told us that there are not many LPG vehicles now. Last time it took ages for the gas to come through to the pump which they say is down to lack of use.

If LPG is being phased out I will have to get rid of my P38. I doubt it will even sell (despite being in nice condition) so may have to be scrapped. Shame. Sad
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Our local Shell filling station have told us that there are not many LPG vehicles now. Last time it took ages for the gas to come through to the pump which they say is down to lack of use.

If LPG is being phased out I will have to get rid of my P38. I doubt it will even sell (despite being in nice condition) so may have to be scrapped. Shame. Sad

Check first Ray, before you jump out. Shell only had 150 stations in UK, out of 1400. I still have three Morrison's and one Gulf within ten miles, but I admit that it might be difficult at times to fuel when away from home.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife became irritated with my "doom and gloom" scenario and went on line; something I could - and should - have done myself and found another LPG outlet at Asda. Not being snobbish or anything but we have never visited this supermarket. There may now be a reason to do so.

I really think the Government is missing a trick with allowing LPG to wither on the vine if they are serious about meeting exhaust emissions. This rush to electric cars, I believe, is mistaken and an overly expensive way of tackling the issue of vehicle pollution. But what do I know?
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it incredible and sad that LPG appears to be phasing out in Australia. We have plenty of the stuff on the North-west shelf and I understand that it needs very little processing compared with petrol that we mainly have to import. I have no vehicles on LPG at the moment as my everyday vehicle is a diesel, my wife's car is a small one and my Z3 has nowhere to fit a tank.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK demand for LPG has been dropping by around 5% per year from its peak around 10 years ago. Clearly this will have influenced BP's decision to move out of the market.

I don't really understand why LPG never took off in th UK? even allowing for the cost of conversion and additional maintenance, someone covering an average millage would save £500+ per year.
As I have mentioned before; 20 years ago I ran a Vauxhall Omega on LPG (aftermarket conversion) covered over 150,000 miles and the engine was solid when I sold the car.

LPG never got the momentum that Electric/hybrid currently has, reminds me of the VHS Betamax competition, where the 2nd best system won.

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Check first Ray, before you jump out. Shell only had 150 stations in UK, out of 1400. I still have three Morrison's and one Gulf within ten miles, but I admit that it might be difficult at times to fuel when away from home.

Part of the problem is that of those numbers, many suppliers are small, one-man-band, outlets, that are often well away from the main routes, open at certain hours only, or inaccessible if, say, you're towing a caravan. If you're covering a distance in one go, it isn't always practical to divert miles from a main route just to find these tiny suppliers, so the loss of Shell suppliers on the motorways etc has a disproportionately high impact on those who need LPG, sadly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
emmerson wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Part of the problem is that of those numbers, many suppliers are small, one-man-band, outlets, that are often well away from the main routes, open at certain hours only, or inaccessible if, say, you're towing a caravan. If you're covering a distance in one go, it isn't always practical to divert miles from a main route just to find these tiny suppliers, so the loss of Shell suppliers on the motorways etc has a disproportionately high impact on those who need LPG, sadly.

RJ

Yes, I agree, Rick, I will miss the Shell outlets. I have one only three miles away and it is consistently cheaper than others, but their loss certainly will not make me give up LPG. I save too much money to do that!
No, it simply means that I won't now make special trips just for fuel, which I sometimes did. Now I'll match it with shopping (Morrisons; choice of three) dog walks (one) and parts purchase (one) The journey to Dover along the M4 may have to be rethought, though.
I notice that on the MyLPG list of outlets that not all the stations I used to know as Shell are listed as closing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: