classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old Petrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Old Petrol Reply with quote

I took my Traction out last week for a run, and found that initially at least, there was something of a lack of enthusiasm in the way it performed. Nothing that you could put down to a specific fault (it started second push on the button) but just not as lively as usual.
I sat and thought about it afterwards and wondered if it was down to old petrol. Probably like a lot of people, I filled up for a New Year's Day excursion, and then have hardly used the car since, certainly not enough to require a refill. The contents of my tank are therefore at least six months old. Likewise the 2CV was filled up just before lockdown in March and is still on half a tank!
I looked online for info.
The BP website says that in a sealed and sheltered tank, petrol is good for twelve months, so no problems there. Trouble is that our classic cars are not sealed tanks, they are probably only partially full, and most are vented to air in some way. The site goes on to say that equipment tanks (I assume this means chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.) which have similarly primitive fuel systems, have only a life expectancy of a month, before they need pepping up with at least a 30% shot of new petrol. This is due to the evaporation of various key elements in the petrol.
So, if you filled up in March and then haven't used your car over much since (which most owners probably haven't) then your tank of petrol is likely to be distinctly lacking in bang by now.
Has anyone noticed an improvement after a refill recently? Obviously something to try if your classic is reluctant after its lockdown, before you start trying to pull it to pieces.
Boring Tucson SUV
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've really noticed any difference with petrol that's been in the tank for 6 months. Perhaps my old car just eats anything.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I can't say I've really noticed any difference with petrol that's been in the tank for 6 months. Perhaps my old car just eats anything.

Peter

At the other end of the scale, my Austin Seven will run on any old petrol. I started it the other day on petrol that is at least a year old.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern fuels apparently don't have the longer shelf life of older ones. If you can drain a little into a white cup, it should be perfectly clear, not yellow. Ideally, run the float bowl dry before storage.
You might enjoy this video, one of many. In almost every case he strips & cleans the carb. He has strong feelings about fuel stabilizers! Start at about 15:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFsb0QLH8I0
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern petrol also has different constituents, winter to summer [and the other two!!]

Winter petol is likely to get too hot for summer use[hot-starting issues]...

Get yourselves a copy of this book...it explains what goes on with today's petrol.

https://www.veloce.co.uk/store/Classic-Engines-Modern-Fuel-The-Problems-the-Solutions-p151478624

It is the results and conclusions of the tests conducted by Manchester University..using an old design engine [XPAG, as it happens].

It also explains what goes on with petrol throughout the year..and why sometimes our old cars struggle to cope with it.

The author[and test engineer] has been interviewed by one of the national papers regarding ethanol.....and blew away some of the urban myth surrounding the stuff.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alanb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Morris 8 runs perfectly happy on 6 month old petrol, with 5 to 1 compression ratio anything above above 70 octane is useable, on the bright side for those worried about ethanol is that it evaporates faster than petrol so if left long enough you could end up with ethanol free fuel😃

Morris 8 two seater
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe petrol out here differs from the UK stuff, but I've never noticed any problems from using old petrol. My only complaint is the truly appalling smell it produces when the engine is running on it.

Although our fuel composition differs between winter and summer, I've never experienced any difficulties starting through using old fuel. Probably because it doesn't get as cold as in the UK.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

Peter

Same here, big Dodge for example runs on anything, our mower though refuses to start after a couple of months of sitting unless I replace it with fresh fuel.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Modern petrol also has different constituents, winter to summer [and the other two!!]

Winter petol is likely to get too hot for summer use[hot-starting issues]...

That's interesting. I had heard of this, but when I tried to Google it, I could only find references to Diesel being varied in composition on a seasonal basis.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2CV doesn't seem much bothered, but I will treat the Traction to a dose of new petrol and see how it feels about that.
Boring Tucson SUV
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere (I thought it was on here, actually) that the first thing that goes "off" in modern petrol is one of the additives that aids starting. Hence you hear stories of people having trouble starting the car, spraying some "Easy Start" in the carbs to get it going, and then it running perfectly fine after that.

I try to make sure I run mine for a bit at least every month, to at least cycle the thermostat once. If it's dry enough, I'll take them for a short trip, but only one has done that recently.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:

That's interesting. I had heard of this, but when I tried to Google it, I could only find references to Diesel being varied in composition on a seasonal basis.

Get the book I linked to...can be had cheaper at other retailers if impecunious...but the contents are what they found at Manchester University..and yes, petrol does change from winter to summer....and bits in between.

Just as, the quantity of ethanol in todays petrol can vary from day to day [depending on the turnover of the petrol retailer in question]...

Petrol suppliers cannot eliminate it altogether, without paying a tax, or 'duty' to the government for doing so.
There are, available to the public, makes of petrol that do not contain any ethanol...and have modified front end components. This stuff is probably the nearest available today, to the petrol of the 50's and 60's.
One brand is targeted at gardeners, etc, to put in their 4 stroke lawn tractors and chainsaws....it will not 'go off' over winter.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sunoco-optima-unleaded-race-fuel-98-ron-aaooptima-25/

Above is a [random] link to one such brand of fuel. [Sunoco Optima 98] Guaranteed to 'not go off'....at around £4.09 a litre!! [You pays yer money, etc.]

Another link to the various fuels available to Joe [and Josephine] Public..
https://aaoil.co.uk/product-category/racing-fuel/

Aspen Fuel is another brand...for one's garden tractor.

Personally, if I had an old technology engine, I'd be looking to run it on the new E10 petrol. Mind, I'd make sure all the fuel system gaskets, rubbers, etc are up to snuff for ethanol. Probably Worth a renewal regime anyway, considering its petrol we're talking about here??
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1969 BSA Bantam does like fuel that much more than a month old....if my bike is going to be out of use for more than a month I drain the tank into a sealed container.

Ethanol is horrible stuff.

My other hobby.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ethanol is horrible stuff.

See my other response to your other query?

Especially in regards to Ethanol?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: