classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Weighted gear lever knobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
comme ça...

Wink

That is classy.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. With a wood of my choosing, I could make one like that.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not sticking strictly to the rule book and one thing that I shall be doing differently is the dashboard. The original board disappeared long ago but I know that by 1949 MG had introduced a vinyl covering (presumably as a cost saving measure) which in my personal opinion is less attractive than the book matched Walnut veneer previously used.

I am having a new plywood dashboard made by the same woodworker who is building the Ash frame. When I get the board I will take it to Messrs. Chapman & Cliff to be veneered. They are Rolls Royce trained and I have it on good authority that they are among the best in the business.
http://www.chapmanandcliff.co.uk/service.htm

I think it would be nice to have the gear knob in a matching wood. My dashboard knobs and switches are all in ivory to match the new "Brooklands" steering wheel. (15 1/2"). I need therefore to decide on a shade/type of wood that will best show them off. All the British Jaeger instruments are new or newly restored with the traditional pale green hue. So choosing the right colour combination is on my mind.

The question of weighted gear knobs has produced some interesting points to consider.

There is an argument that the additional weight of some knobs; particularly those over 6 ounces, has the same effect as resting one's hand on the lever. Apparently, according to some internet sources, modern transmissions have a clearance of 0.004" - 0.006" between each gear and shifter rail to allow for lubrication and the effect of extra weight is to reduce or eliminate this gap; causing premature wear.

I would argue that a weighted gear knob would not have any adverse effect because it exerts a downward rather than sideways loading and it is this lateral force that resting a hand on the lever could impart to the selectors that theoretically could cause premature wear.

The benefits of a weighted knob are that it

a) smoothes out the inherent notchiness experienced in gear changing and

b) makes for a quicker change with a more solid feel.

c) enhances the overall driving experience.

or so I have read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: