classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Morris 8 Series 1 - new addition here at OCC HQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo that alloy casting looks scary

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be of interest when you come to replenish the gear oil that a maximum of 1pint is sufficient. Increasing the level to 1.25 pints (as recommended for the earlier axles) can lead to oil getting into the brakes.

Series E models the level was reduced to 1 pint.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
It may be of interest when you come to replenish the gear oil that a maximum of 1pint is sufficient. Increasing the level to 1.25 pints (as recommended for the earlier axles) can lead to oil getting into the brakes.

Does that also advise not to corner too hard, as well? Smile
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Ray White wrote:

The Morris 8 does not tend to suffer from oil getting on the brakes as over filling the axle is something most owners know about. However, it is advisable to park on level ground if possible; especially with the older cars.

Last edited by Ray White on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Ray White wrote:

The Morris 8 does not tend to suffer from oil getting on the brakes as over filling the axle is something most owners know about. However, it is advisable to park on level ground if possible; especially with the older cars. The later, Series E cars had the benefit of sprung rubber lip seals at the diff. and consequently don't have or need oil sals at the hubs.

I think you are thinking of the Payen hub lip seal that replace the felt seal? All 8's including the SE have the Archimedes screw cork seals that are on the Halfshafts, we supply the same in a modern material. Some folk including myself have fitted lip seals to replace these.
Modern sealed bearings also help to keep the diff oil where it was intended, there are no seals on any of the diff's.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if I was remembering correctly. It was all a long time ago. Sorry for any confusion caused. Embarassed
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Morris 8 diff. Reply with quote

The oil should only be filled to the lower mark and the lip seals were sold as replacements for the felt seals in the 1950's when I had my 8 in UK. They were not much better.
The best way to improve the sealing is to fit a sealed wheel bearing. Available from the Morris Register.
There is also a kit sold by the Morris Register to replace the cork tubes etc..
The Morris Register also sell the steel braided fuel hose from pump to carby.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've progressed a few more small jobs on the Morris recently. It's had an interim oil change, for now I put 20/50 in just to clean out its internals with fresh lubricant, the plan soon is to drop that out and put in straight 30 as it had originally. I also cleaned out the engine breather in a bid to lessen the oil haze out of the exhaust (I think it's improving slowly), and made up a new set of HT leads to cure a misfire that crept in last week.

It's been a little slow to fire up lately from cold, I think the fresh fuel I put in the tank has mixed with the remants of the old fuel still in there, reducing its willingness to burn, but hopefully as the old stuff burns off and I introduce more fresh fuel into the mix, it'll gradually improve.

The SU pump still isn't brilliant so I plan to take another look at that soon, but for now I'll just keep plugging away and gradually cross off the items on my extensive "to do" list!!!!

A short vid describing these latest activities is now on YT: https://youtu.be/Qk8oG0YiKRQ

RJ
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Looking good under the bonnet. The firewall looks just right. Iím curious, have you done a compression check yet? I get the impression youíre waiting to see if the rings free up after running the engine for a while. Enjoying these videos very much.
Regards,
Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoe wrote:
Rick, Looking good under the bonnet. The firewall looks just right. Iím curious, have you done a compression check yet? I get the impression youíre waiting to see if the rings free up after running the engine for a while. Enjoying these videos very much.
Regards,
Joe

Hi Joe, no specific comp test so far, it started readily on fresh fuel so I think the comp is probably not too bad, I just wonder if the oil rings are a bit gummed-up with having sat a long time. I might give it a try sometime just out of curiosity, glad you liked the vid.

RJ
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Video Reply with quote

The battery earth lead looks more like a modern 12 volt lead. 6 volt systems need a heavier lead than 12 volt systems.
If you want to isolate which plug is misfiring use a large screwdriver and short each plug lead at the plug to the cylinder head in turn. When you get one that makes no difference to the running that is the faulty one.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Morris 8 Video Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
The battery earth lead looks more like a modern 12 volt lead. 6 volt systems need a heavier lead than 12 volt systems.
If you want to isolate which plug is misfiring use a large screwdriver and short each plug lead at the plug to the cylinder head in turn. When you get one that makes no difference to the running that is the faulty one.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that, the miss did seem to improve once I'd changed the leads but if it persists I'll give that a whirl.

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick. If the miss I'mproved with new leads might that suggest a weak plug? I think you said in the video that you had only cleaned up three of them.

Just me being impatient again. Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Hi Rick. If the miss I'mproved with new leads might that suggest a weak plug? I think you said in the video that you had only cleaned up three of them.

Just me being impatient again. Rolling Eyes

I did clean them all again, I'll run it up a few more times and see how things go. The insulation on the old leads was really poor which wouldn't have been helping.

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question I have about the plug leads that you made up is do they affect TV reception? It would seem you have no interference suppression with those ends?

I think there was something that could be done about it but I can't remember it now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: