classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would want to know what was wrong with it.

A non runner could just mean just about ANYTHING!!!

(not wishing to scare you there Rick! Wink )

Don't worry, I'm used to owning non-runners Smile

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

Don't worry, I'm used to owning non-runners Smile

RJ

Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

What's wrong with it is that it has the wrong cigar lighter! Rick's has the correct owl's eye lighter and if he leaves his car at a show I would advise removing it if he leaves his car unlocked.

Owl's eyes are as rare as Hen's teeth!

Peter.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Ray White wrote:

What's wrong with it is that it has the wrong cigar lighter! Rick's has the correct owl's eye lighter and if he leaves his car at a show I would advise removing it if he leaves his car unlocked.

Owl's eyes are as rare as Hen's teeth!

Peter.

I honestly had no idea that it was in any way unusual, or hard to find, every day's a school day.

RJ
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are modern reproductions but they don't fit the original holder so you need to change the lot. https://tinyurl.com/yy23lyyr

Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There are modern reproductions but they don't fit the original holder so you need to change the lot. https://tinyurl.com/yy23lyyr

Peter

The repro one in the link doesn't illuminate in use, I assume the originals did so?

Thanks for the photo MikeC, what book/catalogue was that in?

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original was a Smiths lighter that, if I am not mistaken, had to be held in until the owl's eye glowed.

Pat.No.372093. Dating from 1931, there are several different versions and are also found in Jaguars, Rolls Royce and other high end cars.

Expect to pay.@100 for a good original one.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

Thanks for the photo MikeC, what book/catalogue was that in?

RJ

That's from my 4-litre catalogue:

samll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find" Reply with quote

Quote:
Morning all,

Many months of sporadic negotiations led to the following pre-war gem being added to the OCC garage, a 1937 Talbot 3-Litre, just a week after the Morris 8 of the same year arrived on the scene.

The plan had never been to buy two pre-war saloons, but as negotiations on the Talbot had appeared to have ended without a deal, I looked elsewhere and agreed to take on the Morris. Then I heard back that my offer on the Talbot was, in fact, now acceptable, so the only logical thing to do was buy that too (which is why the Volvo's no longer here!).

I love these old garage finds and barn finds, so I couldn't really resist this very original survivor, which had been parked since 1976.

The plan is to tinker away with this one in the background, while I get on with the Morris. I'd like to get it running though, just to see how well or not it runs. With that known I can then decide on a plan of action. Plus it's not exactly light to push!

I uploaded a short video about is this morning, covering its acquisition and extraction from the garage it'd known since 1962!

RJ

Great car, I personally think that almost as good looking as Horch
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find" Reply with quote

samll wrote:
Quote:
Morning all,

Many months of sporadic negotiations led to the following pre-war gem being added to the OCC garage, a 1937 Talbot 3-Litre, just a week after the Morris 8 of the same year arrived on the scene.

The plan had never been to buy two pre-war saloons, but as negotiations on the Talbot had appeared to have ended without a deal, I looked elsewhere and agreed to take on the Morris. Then I heard back that my offer on the Talbot was, in fact, now acceptable, so the only logical thing to do was buy that too (which is why the Volvo's no longer here!).

I love these old garage finds and barn finds, so I couldn't really resist this very original survivor, which had been parked since 1976.

The plan is to tinker away with this one in the background, while I get on with the Morris. I'd like to get it running though, just to see how well or not it runs. With that known I can then decide on a plan of action. Plus it's not exactly light to push!

I uploaded a short video about is this morning, covering its acquisition and extraction from the garage it'd known since 1962!

RJ

Great car, I personally think that almost as good looking as Horch

Welcome to the forum.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all,

I uploaded a quick update this morning:
https://youtu.be/u20Fruu70JA

There's been a move-around in order to get the Talbot under cover, which involved a fair bit of pushing and heaving, plus another test run-up of the Morris' engine. The Talbot's electrics are also given a quick check-over to see what works, and what doesn't. So far the signs re the electrics are promising, with several of its systems showing signs of life.

RJ
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested on your YouTube page, you really need to think about something like a caravan tug t move stuff about? Believe me, as age advances so does the desire for mechanical help?

Should or could be a simple affair? A n ancient [as distinct from the common conception of 'vintage?']....small engine, maybe single cylinder, powering a couple of wheels with decent size tyres [for rough or uneven surfaces......sack barrow wheels wont hack it]....?

Maybe something that could be levered up under a front or rear axle, and slow enough to make maneuvering a doddle?
Maybe not quite as big as a Ransomes Reel cutter, but perhaps of that ilk?

Better than a modern, new, caravan mover that works off a [shhhhhh] battery?
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
As suggested on your YouTube page, you really need to think about something like a caravan tug t move stuff about? Believe me, as age advances so does the desire for mechanical help?

Should or could be a simple affair? A n ancient [as distinct from the common conception of 'vintage?']....small engine, maybe single cylinder, powering a couple of wheels with decent size tyres [for rough or uneven surfaces......sack barrow wheels wont hack it]....?

Maybe something that could be levered up under a front or rear axle, and slow enough to make maneuvering a doddle?
Maybe not quite as big as a Ransomes Reel cutter, but perhaps of that ilk?

Better than a modern, new, caravan mover that works off a [shhhhhh] battery?

Perhaps I should get something. Often the Grey Fergie comes into play with such moves, but it wasn't really feasible this time. What I should really do is just own cars that move themselves!!! but where's the fun in that!!?!? Smile

RJ
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the joys of resurrecting these old cars are the many small victories we get to experience. You press the starter button on the Dodge . . . it starts. You turn the key on the Talbot . . . the dials spring to life. Pull the light switch . . . there's light. I don't think everyone else understands this, but we do, even if we're watching someone else experience it in a video.

One question: why are there two separate horn tones on the Talbot, high and low?

Regards,
Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: