classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Fantastic progress Rick, I look forward to seeing this around the shows in the future.

Kev

Thanks Kev, looking at the photo above I must try and knock out that ding on the running board's lower edge. Hmmm

RJ
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught the latest video on this one and I must say you've really landed on your feet with it. Fantastic to see and hear it in motion.
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, I came across a chap at Stoneleigh show some three years ago who makes replacement silicon hoses to whatever design you need. Sadly I can't find his card but sure someone in the know will have it. Usual business is making whole sets for classic engines but he did imply he could do one off jobs.
Perhaps it will jog someone's memory, mine is past "jogging" these days.
Peter
Daimler DS420 's x 2
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone will produce a bespoke hose in less than a quantity of 20. Even then the price will be eye watering.

One day the right thing will turn up.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect this has come to your attention, Rick, but I thought others might enjoy reading a write up of a 3 1/2 litre Talbot as it was tested on the Brooklands Track before the War.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/march-1936/25/the-3-12-litre-talbot
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check that out Ray, thanks.

Spent a couple of hours today on the fuel system, I think I might be getting close to having it run off fuel in the main tank, which would be a good stage to get at, rather than using the tin sat on the front panel.

RJ
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I expect this has come to your attention, Rick, but I thought others might enjoy reading a write up of a 3 1/2 litre Talbot as it was tested on the Brooklands Track before the War.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/march-1936/25/the-3-12-litre-talbot

I see it had a "traffic" centrifugal clutch and self changing Wilson epicyclic gearbox.

Peter
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how far we have come with modern motors none i think will survive like the Talbot and the MPG figures are excellent at 131mpg that even bettered my old Reliant....
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this car - the "Sports Saloon" has the same engine as in Rick's car. There is mention of overhead valves and in addition to the pre selector gearbox is a radiator mounted "in unit" with the engine...

Nonetheless, despite poor editorial work, it is an interesting read.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the Talbot in the Motor Sport test was pre-Rootes. As you say OHV engine.

The testing does highlight a big difference in emphasis on the early 1930s cars. Note that the acceleration graph is from 10 mph. These graphs were showing top gear flexibility and not through the gears acceleration. Some of them repeat the graph for 3rd gear. I'm not sure what happens with the Wilson box. I assume the box doesn't kick down but just remains in the gear selected. I think these graphs tended to die out when synchromesh became the norm.

10 mph in top is a little unkind although better in a 6 cylinder car. It represents 500 rpm in my old car!

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's upload - https://youtu.be/VNhOPgND_uc - describes this week's tinkerings, primarily with the fuel system in a bid to clean out and prep the tank, line and pump to enable it to run off its own tank, rather than the makeshift one seen recently tied to the front apron.

I also took a closer look at how the aged paintwork might respond to some gentle TLC.

Not shown but I also fitted a new set of points yesterday which improved the running a little.

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short vid uploaded today about the ongoing search for one part that the Talbot's been missing - a retaining nut for one of the ACE wheel discs.

https://youtu.be/IhguRiXf5D0

The feedback on whether to persist with the old paintwork has been very interesting so far, on balance most people who've commented prefer the scratty old paint over shiny new, but perhaps that's down to the preferences of the followers I tend to attract on YT, rather than old-car fans as a whole?! Nevertheless it's interesting to read this kind of feedback, for and against the old paint and brightwork.

RJ
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservation versus restoration is entirely personal really. The Talbot is going to be a magnificent beast whichever path you choose.

When you describe the paint as gunmetal it actually makes me wonder if my eyes or my monitor setting is off because it looks slightly green to me. I'm used to gunmetal being a more solid grey, or with a hint of blue/purple to it while the Talbot appears more like a desaturated pearlescent olive drab. It's a nice colour at any rate, the understated shade really makes the most of the coachwork.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

When you describe the paint as gunmetal it actually makes me wonder if my eyes or my monitor setting is off because it looks slightly green to me.

I can certainly see the greenish tint in the photo above but I think this must simply be a reflection of the light source.

An earlier photo in daylight looks totally free of green tint.

Peter

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Hi Rick, I came across a chap at Stoneleigh show some three years ago who makes replacement silicon hoses to whatever design you need. Sadly I can't find his card but sure someone in the know will have it. Usual business is making whole sets for classic engines but he did imply he could do one off jobs.
Perhaps it will jog someone's memory, mine is past "jogging" these days.
Peter

This is the one, I think. I remember seeing them at Race Retro too, and perhaps the NEC show: https://classicsiliconehoses.uk/

I recall seeing another one, I bought a couple of offcuts from them, but I can't remember their name. Perhaps one of the more generic motorsport suppliers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: