classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

End of an Era.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: End of an Era. Reply with quote

Nelson Auto Electrical of Darley Abbey Mills is no more.

Chris Nelson is well known to me and other classic car owners. For whatever reason he has closed down his auto electric business and gone to work for Aston Martin.

This is a big loss to our local old car fraternity and I now have no one to take my electrical problems to.

I remember on one occasion I had been taken to the cleaners by another electrical "expert" with a 6 volt Dodge Brothers starter motor. He could not get it to operate properly so I took it to Chris who worked his magic and rebuilt the starter for just £100. It looked and worked like new. Since then he has been my 'go to" guy and was always willing to help. he even paid me a visit to help me with an electrical issue.

I now don't know if I will be able to get Chris to oversee the firing up of my MG TC. With all my electrical modifications I will need a second opinion before even switching on the ignition for the first time.!

Just a sad loss to our hobby locally.

The end of an era. Sad
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an auto electrician like that locally, but he likewise decided to call it a day and the site was redeveloped for housing. I think a lot of these guys have looked at the increasing business rates and the like and just decided it's not worthwhile any more, especially if their premises are worth ££££££'s to a developer. It may be just the ones I've encountered, but auto electricians tended to be older guys, operating out of scruffy premises that they probably owned rather than rented, and probably self taught to boot - just the sort of people that the modern world has no space for Crying or Very sad
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why he threw in the towel. It could have been for any number of reasons; although I can't have been be for development as his premises is part of a conservation area know as 'Derwent Valley Mills World heritage site'. The area is pretty rather than practical and you have to go out of your way to get to it. Perhaps it just didn't pay.

My guess is that he is SO good at what he does he was offered a deal by Aston Martin that he felt he couldn't turn down....? I just don't know. What I do know is that the MG guy next door is non too happy.

Of course there is also another 'knock on' effect with some faithful 'old timers' having to give up too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: