classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New toy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: New toy Reply with quote

I have always want a vehicle lift, can't justify (and don't have the garage height) a 2 or 4 post lift, so have been looking at the mobile lifts for some time.

Surfing eBay to see what was around I came across this used German made lift that has a hydraulic tilt feature as well as the normal lift. £527 later it was mine. Its about 25 years old, came with its original receipt and documentation, the seller had used it to maintain boat trailers, and his comment that its had an easy life looks genuine.

On full tilt it gets either end to eye level, seems very stable and solid. They don't seem to be made any more, possibly the cost as it has 2 independent hydraulic rams, one to lift and the other tilts.

Well pleased Smile

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fantastic tool!

It looks like you don't have to pump it up manually. Wink
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about something similar to that, interesting to hear more on how much use you get out of it.

My floor isn't flat, unfortunately, and I think I'd have to smooth the concrete out before getting one.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I've been thinking about something similar to that, interesting to hear more on how much use you get out of it.

My floor isn't flat, unfortunately, and I think I'd have to smooth the concrete out before getting one.

Yes you do need a flat floor to move it around, there is a handle that attaches to the front, and when its lifted it lowers 2 wheels in the centre of the ramp, its movable (with a bit of grunt!) on our paving, but to get it into the garage which has about a 1/8" lip required the use of a 5' crow bar to encourage the wheels over the lip. If it was staying in the same place, this wouldn't be a real issue.

Dave
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Jacks Reply with quote

Doesn't look too safe! This is the modern version https://www.quickjack.com.au/ made in USA and available in UK
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These hydraulic portable lifts can be very heavy. An old chum got me to help him fetch one of these some years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334214557064?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D740349090e28430b8aca9aed38fa9b8e%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D195102560409%26itm%3D334214557064%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Needed to take my weecar trailer...Very heavy indeed, for a couple of auldfarhts to try to lift.

Not in the least unstable, he used his to lift, amongst other things, his LandRover. No less a risk than driving off a 4 post lift!

I like ukdave2002's type, as his cars can be raised one end or the other, to comfortably work right underneath...the one above only does a straight lift up & down.

A smooth, hard surface is essential, almost, since the above version actually slides, or rolls, along as it lifts.

Heavy to move about, but it will 'store' flat underneath something like an MGB! which is important. Thus, if one has a small garage, and can arrange a small [concrete] pad out side the front, one can lift one's vehicle outside, yet store the whole caboodle out of sight underneath one's vehicle, inside.

Might be worth finding one of those cheap motorised caravan mover things, to aid tugging a car lift around? [Thinking of those of us over 70, working alone?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jacks Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Doesn't look too safe! This is the modern version https://www.quickjack.com.au/ made in USA and available in UK

I was concerned about the vehicle moving when tilted, clearly some common sense needs to be applied ! it does however come with various attachments to secure to the chassis or suspension, it is surprisingly stable.

This is the sales blurb that came with it:

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: