classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tilly website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Tilly website Reply with quote

The Tilly website was supposed to be sold with the car as part of the deal to the new owner, but as he was a bit of a luddite he didn't want anything to do with it.

I kept the website online for a further 3 years but due to escalating hosting costs I eventually pulled the plug but kept the files incase the next owner wanted it.
Sadly the latest owner is also not computer literate and therefore the site was never put online again.

I was approached by numerous P2 owners asking if I would reinstate my Tilly website as the information was often used for reference in keeping these old cars on the road and after building the 850 website I thought it would be a simple job to rebuild the Tilly site.

How wrong was I? The software for the Tilly site is completely different to the new software so I had to start at the beginning and it's been a lot of trial and error trying to replicate something from 17 years ago.

I'm slowly working through everything so not all of the link buttons are connected yet but you can have a look at what's available here Tilly website Click
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for posting. Your site gives a lot of interesting information and a good story from Royce Cole's restoration work. Did you call the car Tilly because you collected it from Tilbury docks?

Peter.

p.s. I think the Jaguar you didn't get was actually a MkVII.
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Yes the Jaguar was a MkVII. and was by far the nicest I have ever seen. After speaking to a few of the Jag guys at the show they all told me the MkVII owner had a number of cars and was trying to move some on, so I hung around all day until he came back from the harbour. Sadly the MkVII was the only one he wanted to keep.

Tilly was the name I gave for a couple of reasons. She's an Ozzy POM so with collecting at Tilbury docks and the song Waltzing Matilda then Tilly seemed to be the name she deserved.

The work Cole did as an amateur enthusiast was done to a standard that most professionals could only dream of and aspire to, but most would never get there. It's now 40 years since she was restored and the last pictures I saw a couple of years ago she's still looks the part and should easily survive another 40 years with the proper care
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Tilly Reply with quote

Perhaps Tilly is not such a good name. During the war several car companies produced pickups with a canvas tilt on the back for the armed forces and they were called Tilly Vans!!
Our scoutmaster who had a bicycle shop, bought one made by Standard after the war when they were being sold off.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tilly Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Perhaps Tilly is not such a good name. During the war several car companies produced pickups with a canvas tilt on the back for the armed forces and they were called Tilly Vans!!
Our scoutmaster who had a bicycle shop, bought one made by Standard after the war when they were being sold off.

I did wonder about that too. If you Google "Austin Tilly" you get loads of photos like those in Rick's site: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/austin-tilly.htm

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, what's in a name...

Maybe I should have called it Mary, the most popular name of the 40s or possibly Linda or Barabra, even a boys name, Jack as in car jack...

It's been Tilly for almost 20 years, everyone in the UK and Australia know it as Tilly, the new owner knows it as Tilly and I doubt it will ever be known as anything else

As for the Tilly vehicles during the war, they were purpose built and did what they were required to, we won the war which I'm sure Tilly vehicles played their part so another good reason to keep the name Tilly in the public domain
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice footage of Princess Elizabeth at the wheel of an Austin K2. Would they call the light truck a Tilly? I don't know. I saw a K2 ambulance; all kitted out, at a Mathewson's auction but it failed to sell. Reserve set too high.

We tend to be cynical these days and regard film like this as Wartime propaganda ... but I don't think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2grMaRttws
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this story. "Oh, just sit where ever you like."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1581952/queen-news-elizabeth-II-Prince-philip-US-secret-service-barack-obama-royal-latest-vn

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I liked this story. "Oh, just sit where ever you like."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1581952/queen-news-elizabeth-II-Prince-philip-US-secret-service-barack-obama-royal-latest-vn

Peter

Nice story. I would like to have met the Queen... but it never happened. The closest I ever came was seeing her go past in a carriage at Ascot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: