classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Polarity question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Polarity question. Reply with quote

Whilst I think I understand what happens with reversed polarity I and how to flash the dynamo to rectify it, I am not at all clear about how I should rectify the problem when the car has electronic ignition.

I am just concerned that terminal damage may be caused to the (expensive) new electronic distributor should the polarity get reversed. For all I know; it may not even be relevant if an alternator is fitted.

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some practical advice ...?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I thought you had an alternator rather than a dynamo? If so no need to flash it. If you do have a dynamo flash it off the car to protect any potential damage to electronics.

I doubt reverse polarity would damage the electronics, but flashing a dynamo certainly might.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray, I thought you had an alternator rather than a dynamo? If so no need to flash it. If you do have a dynamo flash it off the car to protect any potential damage to electronics.

I doubt reverse polarity would damage the electronics, but flashing a dynamo certainly might.

Dave

No Dave, I don't have the old dynamo fitted. I have an alternator and want to know if reverse polarity can still happen??
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
No Dave, I don't have the old dynamo fitted. I have an alternator and want to know if reverse polarity can still happen??

Alternators are built to either positive or negative earth specification, and whilst possible to change the polarity it would involve dismantling with at a minimum altering the rectifier configuration. For most practical purposes if a polarity change is required then a different alternator would be sourced.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Alternators are built to either positive or negative earth specification, and whilst possible to change the polarity it would involve dismantling with at a minimum altering the rectifier configuration. For most practical purposes if a polarity change is required then a different alternator would be sourced.

Dave

It is good to know that polarity won't just happen by accident on my car. The Dynamator I have is positive earth.; as is the distributor...so all O.K.

Thanks.
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, your battery terminals are different sizes in order to prevent it being incorrectly connected.
Nowadays, most electronic stuff is made with reverse polarity protection, so I would envisage this is the case with the electronic distributor. However the alternator/dynamator will probably not be so protected and reverse polarity would short circuit the battery supply straight through the 9 diodes in the AC to DC rectifier pack and it will be toast!
The same would be the case with any diodes inside relays, instruments and those you put in the dash, probably also take out the flasher unit.
So to sum up, make sure your battery terminals are correct size and well marked and put a big sticker on the battery as a reminder if ever jump starting that it's is POSITIVE EARTH.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some one who only recently fitted a battery the wrong way round on a 1970's Buick, should have been negative earth. The car started no problem, but it destroyed the alternator. Everything else survived.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
I know some one who only recently fitted a battery the wrong way round on a 1970's Buick, should have been negative earth. The car started no problem, but it destroyed the alternator. Everything else survived.
It will have toasted the rectifier, 50p spent on 4 new diodes would see it fixed Smile

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much dialled into the MG TC being positive earth and there is no chance of the battery being joined up the wrong way round - as has been said - the cables (which, by the way, are all new) have different size terminals.

My dear old Swallow, on the other hand, hasn't seen much use lately and if the battery has died and the dynamo should happen to have lost it's inherent magnetism, I believe there is a risk that it may have got it's polarity a bit confused (note technical terms).

it is negative earth and proud of it.!

The Swallow remains unmolested and will continue to hold the fort with regard to originality.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray
Re-polarising a dynamo isn't anything that needs to be done on any kind of regular basis. It takes years for them to get confused.
Hopefully, you can run the Swallow once in a while.
You do need to be cautious around alternators, however. Sparks & shorts & sudden high-current draws can be hazardous to their welfare. Disconnect it before any welding, for example - it may not be essential, but better safe....
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. Your advice is always appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: