classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rare Lagonda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Rare Lagonda Reply with quote

They built over 4000 of the 11.9 but only a handful are known to survive. MY guess is this will probably go to a Lagonda collector.

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1921-lagonda-119hp-two-seater-drophead-coupe-4XKPEn#&gid=1&pid=1
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is/was a 'monocoque' early Lagonda near to me....Along with a 1916{?} Overland....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Lagonda Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
MY guess is this will probably go to a Lagonda collector.

Probably, but why would that be wrong? Surely you do not think it would end up in the hands of someone who would use it for commuting Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
There is/was a 'monocoque' early Lagonda near to me....Along with a 1916{?} Overland....

Alastair. You show in depth knowledge of the Lagonda marque.! The 11.1 model was introduced in 1913. By 1914 it had the "monocoque" body with the 'fly off' hand brake; a World first!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alastair may be interested to know that the early (1913) Lagonda and the Overland that he mentioned feature in this evening's 'Bangers and Cash' programme along wth a vintage Panhard Levasseur. They are not being sold at present, although owners Steve and Anne Lawrence are parting with a Jowett 'Long Four' and a more modern Alfa Romeo through Mathewson's car auction house.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Ray.
I now/knew Steve and Anne Lawrence on a 'personal' basis....Years ago they 'chased' me into my back garden when I was driving home from work in my road-registered Cannon trials car.

Later [not so long ago] Steve spotted my Dellow parked in our local Lidl supermarket car park, and left a note....I called by for a chat [they live very local to me] as they had once owned a Dellow.
They had earlier even purchased a road-modified Cannon with one of their family, but I know not what became of it.
I haven't had much in the way of contact since lockdown, and wondered how they were getting along?
I don't recall seeing the Jowett...must have been a later acquisition?
It is a car I wouldn't have minded running.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Thanks for that info, Ray.
I now/knew Steve and Anne Lawrence on a 'personal' basis....Years ago they 'chased' me into my back garden when I was driving home from work in my road-registered Cannon trials car.

Later [not so long ago] Steve spotted my Dellow parked in our local Lidl supermarket car park, and left a note....I called by for a chat [they live very local to me] as they had once owned a Dellow.
They had earlier even purchased a road-modified Cannon with one of their family, but I know not what became of it.
I haven't had much in the way of contact since lockdown, and wondered how they were getting along?
I don't recall seeing the Jowett...must have been a later acquisition?
It is a car I wouldn't have minded running.

Alastair. The Jowett, a 1933 long four, was bid to £3000 but did not sell at the auction. A sale was later negotiated at £4,800 (I think). It looked like a good buy to me. I was always told by my Dad that the old Jowetts were a well built car but a poor performer. He knew Gerald Palmer - the designer of the Javelin ; a far more practical vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: