classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

BA15D LED Headlight Upgrade 6v
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
WP6980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: BA15D LED Headlight Upgrade 6v Reply with quote

Has anyone used these new headlamp bulbs?

These give a very good light output and are great for night driving, however, I don't think there is much difference between dipped and main beam and I am wondering if I have my wiring incorrect!

I have arranged the wiring such, that when main beam is selected, dipped beam is extinguished and I am wondering if the dipped connection should remain on when moving to main beam?

I have asked the supplier but have not yet heard and don't want to do anything that may damage the lamp.

Has anyone used these and can they share how they wired the lamps to the switch, many thanks.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. You don't say what car you have.? No matter.

I couldn't say if your headlamp would suffer from excess heat or not but if you have both main beam and dipped on together you would want to use a relay to protect the switch from overload.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WP6980
I suspect the LEDs will overheat if you use both high & low beams together unless there is a great deal of cooling.
LED headlights are prone to produce a great deal of glare but little useful light actually on the road.
What are the beam patterns like?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
WP6980 LED headlights are prone to produce a great deal of glare but little useful light actually on the road.
What are the beam patterns like?

I agree they are very good for being seen, but without the correct reflector/lens combination won't throw the light well.

Dave
WP6980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulbs include a proper lens to provide a focal point, the reflectors can have really rubbish silvering, they don't need it.

The supplier has replied to my query and this is exactly what he said:

When you power the main beam, both the main and dipped beam functions of the LED light. You should see a good difference between the two.

I don't quite understand what he has written as I think it is missing a word or two, but I believe he means that both will function together when on main beam - I have not yet tried it to verify.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you power the main beam, both the main and dipped beam functions of the LED light. You should see a good difference between the two.

So the implication is that, on dipped beam, some part of the LED goes out. There must be some circuitry in the LED. It will be interesting to see if you can detect this - use dark glasses!
But are the beam patterns on the road good?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
But are the beam patterns on the road good?

That's the important thing, if they provide a good beam pattern, throwing the light, happy days Smile

Dave
WP6980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the dipped beam position, the road ahead is well lit, even on country roads, so dipped beam is good.

flicking up to main beam, the light beam goes upwards but the output seems to be about the same.

I have not yet had the opportunity to alter the wiring so that the dipped beam stays on irrespective.

I will report back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: