classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1936 Austin Catalogue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: 1936 Austin Catalogue Reply with quote

For anyone here who would like to own a pre War Austin. (closed models)

https://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/BR_1402.pdf
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Austin catalogue, Ray.

As a lifelong Austin man, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the fabulous range of extremely well engineered cars that Austin were offering just prewar.
I am saddened that due to the absolute disasters of BMC and Leyland, 50 years later it was all gone.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Austin Cars Reply with quote

Austin used to produce a hard back diary each year pre-war with a picture of each current model. I used to have about six different years but my younger brother scribbled in them and spoilt them. I still have one. If only!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Austin Cars Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Austin used to produce a hard back diary each year pre-war with a picture of each current model. I used to have about six different years but my younger brother scribbled in them and spoilt them. I still have one. If only!!

I think I have a scruffy copy somewhere, plus a book describing motor tours you could undertake in your Austin.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catalogue. Thanks for posting.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Morris (and other big car firms) had similar catalogues aimed at strong marque loyalty that played such an important part in car ownership in those far off days.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Thanks for that Austin catalogue, Ray.

As a lifelong Austin man, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the fabulous range of extremely well engineered cars that Austin were offering just prewar.
I am saddened that due to the absolute disasters of BMC and Leyland, 50 years later it was all gone.

Keith

I too am an Austin enthusiast. I remember there was some competition with my Dad who was a Morris devotee. He would ignore some of the shoddy build quality of Morris cars compared with Austin (perhaps with the exception of the Eight) and always play up their hydraulic brakes.

There is an old saying that Austins go but don't stop and Morrises stop but don't go.

The sad thing is that probably the worst mass produced car ever to come out of Longbridge - the Allegro - was given an Austin name. Crying or Very sad
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Austin Catalogue Reply with quote

Printing costs after the war put a stop to the diaries and other printed material.
I learnt to drive and pass my test in an Austin Ten Cambridge of 1936. My first car was a Morris 8 Tourer and had more enjoyment form the Morris than any since! Drove it to the South of France and Italy about 1958.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Austin Catalogue Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Printing costs after the war put a stop to the diaries and other printed material.
I learnt to drive and pass my test in an Austin Ten Cambridge of 1936. My first car was a Morris 8 Tourer and had more enjoyment form the Morris than any since! Drove it to the South of France and Italy about 1958.

I have fond memories of the Morris 8 tourer (Series 1) because Dad had one and we enjoyed it as a family. The 8 was needed because the M type MG was just too small when my Brother came along. I once asked my Mum what she thought of it and she said that compared to the little MG it was like a boat.

I think Dad realised that the Morris was not a sporty alternative and reluctantly admitted his sports car days were behind him. The tourer was traded for a Series One saloon. This was eventually replaced with a Series E; another fine Morris car.

I remember feeling pretty sad when the "E" had to go. I had become used to seeing it's shiny black paintwork and it had a lovely smell!
There were others around, of course, but ours was the only one with yellow wheels.!!

My Uncle and Aunt had an Austin 8. They were delighted with it. I remember the quality of the panel fit left something to be desired but that really didn't detract from it being a great little car.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little two-seater 1932 Morris Minor has been far more reliable than I ever imagined. Over the course of 8,000+miles it has only failed to get me home once, when a core plug popped and I didn't have a spare one in the car... or water to refill the radiator. It did 600 miles over 5 days last June and didn't miss a single beat. I'm seriously considering taking it to France next year*, and maybe the Scottish Highlands this year.

*I'll be looking to head across La Manche in the 2CV this July and attend the 2CV World Meeting in Switzerland.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: