classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Identification of Old Cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I don't think it has changed much because the photo was taken in Derwent Road rather than Matlock Road. Looking at the age of the buildings I don't think either road has changed much. That said the building further down Derwent Road looks of newer construction than the one in the Standard photo.

https://goo.gl/maps/y68dgBgGFDzuq3ER8

Peter

MY mistake. I thought it was Matlock Road.
Leather Seats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Identification of old card Reply with quote

VMT for the recent comments.

Yes, Gilbert Peacock’s office and lock-ups were in Matlock Road. The picture of GP and his Standard was taken in Derwent Road; the building with the brick pillars was a gymnasium patronised by the many private schools in that part of Eastbourne (Meads). There were scores of private schools from Victorian times to the outbreak of WW2. Most did not have space for their own gym but there were at least two privately-run gyms … one in Derwent Road. During WW2 this old gym became a store for furniture from bombed buildings; after the war, a shirt factory. In the 60s it was demolished and replaced by housing.

Glen Mackay, my g/f, was killed on 7 March 1943 when a bomb landed on the shops and houses between 22-28 Meads Street.

The picture below from Street View shows two alleyways off Matlock Road: the one to the right is a service access for the shops in Meads Street. The one to the left gave access to Peacock’s office and lock-ups. (Now the site of a private house.) The rusty bracket atop the dividing wall once held a glass globe advertising Pratts petrol. I suppose Peacock had a pump at the top of his alleyway … probably disused from the outbreak of WW2. This pump was, no doubt, the cause of his agitation when the office caught fire.

https://goo.gl/maps/SSheukmmXM2zXmwG7

The glass globe was almost certainly broken by flying debris at the time of the bombing of Meads Street … its rusty bracket the last vestige of Peacock’s private hire business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: