classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another Barn Find
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Another Barn Find Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155442450480

Now this is a proper Barn find, superb project Morris 8 Series E.
Brent29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope someone would bring that back to life! Reminds me of my uncle's '39 Morris 8 Tourer back in the days. Too bad he had to sell in the late 80's. I'm coming over to his garage this weekend to help him install the rotors and truck wheels onto his Silverado. I'll ask if he still got some photos of it.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare car, only made for 1 year, production never recommenced after the war,

Looks to be a complete car, same model as the Young Persons Load car that we are handing over at the NEC Restoration Show later this month.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad had one of those! He had hoped it would be a suitable family car but still have the open top feel of a sports car... but he was disappointed.! Compared with the little red and black MG M type, in my Mother's words, it was a "bit of a boat" Shocked

I remember it well; in particular how much easier it was to put the hood (top) up in a sudden cloud burst compared with the MG. (What a faff that was!)

I have no photos of the car and I can't remember the registration number but there is something about this one - the way it's radiator grille is pushed in - that makes me wonder if it is the same car. I don't expect it is but you never know!.

Incidentally, when my Mum was learning to drive (with my Brother and I in the back) she managed to miss our driveway and drove into the fence post. The car was grounded between ours and next doors (higher) drive way. My Brother and I couldn't stop laughing... but my Dad was not so amused!! Laughing Laughing
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I have no photos of the car and I can't remember the registration number but there is something about this one - the way it's radiator grille is pushed in - that makes me wonder if it is the same car. I don't expect it is but you never know!.

Ray, there were only 2776 made and this included export models, so its not beyond the reals of possibility!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Ray, there were only 2776 made and this included export models, so its not beyond the reals of possibility!

So frustrating now that I didn't like photography as a kid.

How common were the headlamp extensions? My Dad did this to his tourer and the series E, because the originals - although looking sleek - were (a bit like Series E type Jag headlamps) pretty useless.

To be fair the most vivid memory was of him driving with the windscreen folded flat (very similar to the MG) and my Mum going on about her 'hair do' getting ruined!! Laughing
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Ser E Reply with quote

The headlight extensions were very common but there are still some without. I was looking at one a few months ago. It was also a Tourer
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the headlamp extensions may be more practical, they (IMO) don't do anything for the aesthetics.

Dave
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in 1963-1964. It was first registered in 1939 and had the Victorian (Australia) rego number of ME 290.
I managed to give it a valve grind in the street outside the flat that I rented, In January 1964 set about a trip driving around the state of Victoria,
using roads as close to the border as possible.
The photo was taken on a brand new road pushed through for the Snowy Mountains scheme through some of the mountain country.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it ended up at £2,800...

What do you think? A good project at that price?
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
So, it ended up at £2,800...

What do you think? A good project at that price?

It will make a great project ... but if done properly will - in my opinion - never break even.

I would suggest the best thing would be to have the body "dipped" . It needs to be stripped back to bare metal to establish just how bad the corrosion is. Media blasting would probably not be as good.

Where I would do things differently to my TC is to not waste money on modifications and keep things simple rather than try to improve on what the car is; a cheap open tourer.

The trouble with rare cars at this level is that they attract the attention of hot rodders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: