classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ball joint/taper joint separator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
WP6980

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Ball joint/taper joint separator Reply with quote

It is again time to remove the steering drag link on my Austin 7 and separating the ball joints.

Using a modern ball joint separator is difficult as these are too big, I have used a small clamp on type, which must have been successful as I have managed to pull the joint apart!

But it is always an effort on something that should be quite easy, the joints are only small!

My question is "has anyone found a narrow jawed ball joint separator that would do the job?"

I have never belted the taper with a hammer as is often suggested, I am sure I would do more harm than good, in any event, I do not have the space to swing a hammer!

I will probably have to resort to getting a blacksmith to make a narrow jaw taper splitter, but would be interested to know what others use, or if there is a tool I can buy - much internet search has not found anything suitable for a small size (other than what I have already which is a tad too big).
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I tend to use the hammer method - hold one hammer to one side of the joint, and a couple of quick belts on the opposite side is usually enough to push the taper out. It does come at the cost of removing paint, though, which is annoying if, like me, you care about the appearance of the area.

I know there are pullers available in all sorts of sizes, down to those that are used to pull stubborn windscreen wipers off their splines, I wonder if something like that might be able to do the job for you.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sykes Pickavant ball joint splitter, bought in the 80's when I first had Minis, its smaller than the splitters supplied today, I have never worked on an A7, however the splitter fits nicely on Morris 8 TRE's & link joints.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago dad had two wedges made, you'd put one either side of the joint and tap both sides, always seemed to work very well.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: