classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

windscreen wipers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: windscreen wipers. Reply with quote

I am thinking about fitting different windscreen wipers to my MG TC as I am unhappy with having the wiper motor suspended from the top of the frame where it is not just an intrusion but a danger to the head of any unsuspecting passenger.

Setting aside the originality arguments, what I would like to know is which would be the best set up to go for; bearing in mind the narrow scuttle.

For example, I have the possibility of acquiring a Morris Minor "clap hands" system cheaply but I am unsure if this was ever any good or not.?

I have heard that the MGA is good but where I would find one these days I don't know.

Likewise, the later MG midget/Sprite is a narrow car..with perhaps more chance of finding something suitable.

The switch I have is for single use only (on/off) but some wipers have more than one speed and a park facility. What I don't know is if my switch (that I want to keep) will work with these later versions - and just have one speed - or do they have to be connected to a more modern switch?

Any advise welcome... thanks.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: windscreen wipers. Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
For example, I have the possibility of acquiring a Morris Minor "clap hands" system cheaply but I am unsure if this was ever any good or not.?

Does it matter? I guess you will not use the wipers too often. It is not that the car will be a daily driver in all weathers.
If it was good enough for the Minor then it is good enough for the occasional use in a classic.
My wife owned a Minor with the clap hands type wipers, she did use the car for two years in all weathers and the wipers were never a problem.

Ray White wrote:
The switch I have is for single use only (on/off) but some wipers have more than one speed and a park facility. What I don't know is if my switch (that I want to keep) will work with these later versions - and just have one speed - or do they have to be connected to a more modern switch?

Usually the wiper switch is just a simple on/off switch, any on/off switch would work. The parking facility is built in the wiper motor.
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great advantage with the old Lucas wiper systems is you can practically put the motor where you like and adapt the bundy tubing and wheelboxes to suit, unlike a fixed linkage system. All you need to establish is the sweep angles and how to route a cable of suitable length. Parking of the blades can be adjusted to suit.
On my Daimler V8 250 the park involves a motor reversal which neatly puts them at the very base of the screen. I'm no expert but I'm sure if you have a word with Car Builder Solutions, who make all manner of bits for kit cars, I'm sure they can bundle you together a kit which you would be pleased with and, being new parts, will be reliable.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice here.

I will get onto Car Builder Solutions and see what they could do.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Badhuis suggests, perhaps you don't really need wipers? Given that your windscreen can fold flat I don't think there is any legal requirement for wipers.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I restored my MGA my wiper motor was missing, I wasn't prepared to pay the mega price that MGA wiper motors commanded, so I bought the cheapest Lucas DR2 wiper motor (correct motor for the MGA) that I could find, and then repositioned the peg on the drive gear to obtain the correct sweep.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't intend to pamper this car. It will get used until I am too old and decrepit to drive. The reason for all the changes is to make the car more drivable and as I would like to tour with it, wipers of one sort or another will be needed.

Unfortunately, the rebuild is as taking much longer than it should so perhaps I would be better advised to fit the wipers I have.

No doubt the wiper motor will need a good service but I doubt it is worn out; the Australian climate should have helped but I expect the grease will have hardened to the consistency of concrete!
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: MG TC Reply with quote

If it was a Sydney car they probably got a lot of use. Just about every time I have been to Sydney it was raining!! The cricket is also always being abandoned due to rain.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: MG TC Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
If it was a Sydney car they probably got a lot of use. Just about every time I have been to Sydney it was raining!! The cricket is also always being abandoned due to rain.

The car (TC 10,030) was originally blue and spent a lot of time in Woolamia. It was in competition at some point and according to a previous owner the driver was a certain Don Johnson. I don't think he was very famous.

If however you can assist in any way in tracing the history of my car it would be a great help.

The Australian registration number was BGZ 773 if it helps.
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: MG TC Reply with quote

I am in Melbourne some 600 miles from Sydney, but I am sure the MG car club in Sydney may be able to assist you E mail mgcarclubsydney.com.au
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: MG TC Reply with quote

Further to above;
Woollamia is south of Sydney and the Hunter region MG club may have some information Email henskens@henskens.com.au
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice but the club has said they know nothing of my car or it's competition past.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the wiper brakes Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMapKS5ax3o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: