classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Impatience everywhere
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
I suspect that more modern engines are mated to automatic transmissions, this will reduce engine braking. With a manual there is no reason why a modern ic engine would have less engine braking.

Dave

I don't know about the engine technology, but I was nearly caught out driving a manual car and one thing that is different is the overall gearing tends to be taller on a modern. The hill I mentioned previously was one that my old Herald would "walk" down in top without picking up speed, but a modern will pick up speed and need a little touch of braking going down in third.
I suspect its purely down to gearing, assuming we are not involving diesels, modern petrol vehicles have a much more powerful powerplant than years gone by, this allows for higher gearing with improved economy etc.
My MGA sounds as if its being thrashed doing 70 mph in top gear, the standard axle ratio of 4.3/1 gives 17 mph per 1000 rpm in 4th gear a reason why many opt for a 5 speed conversion with a Ford type 9 box; effectively a 0.82 overdrive in 5th, but clearly would offer less engine braking.
When I was learning to drive I remember the phrase "if its running away from you , change down" nothings changed except that we will need to change down more frequently in a newer vehicle.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Rick being cut up Wink

Dave
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a cause of constant frustration, annoyance and worry for me.
I don't mind people overtaking slower vehicles, but why oh why do they have to do it into the face of oncoming traffic? I've had so many near misses with muppets in modern cars who can't wait a few seconds for a safe gap before overtaking.
I get this a lot in my 'modern' car which is a 1998 Rover 620. Despite its advancing years it's got plenty of power and will cruise at 60mph happily. Unfortunately, people see an old, gold Rover, assume the driver is doing 25 mph and pull out in front of me.
Nearly lost my Austin Somerset a couple of years ago, on the A140 near Norwich. I was stationary, indicating right (with LED flashing indicators) with my wheels on the white line. I got a gap in the traffic, just started to turn and fortunately I caught sight of a muppet coming up fast behind on my OUTSIDE in the little quarterlight mirror. I slammed the brakes on and came to a stop. Muppet swerved around me, nearly lost control of his car as he left the road and bounced off the verge, kicking up a load of mud and grass as he struggled to regain control. He was easily doing 50-60 mph I would guess.
Had he hit me, it would have been a side impact that probably would have rolled the Somerset over, written the car off and probably killed me and my girlfriend as there are no seat belts fitted.
Certainly shook us up.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1964 Gazelle keeps up with 'town traffic' but is of course a little slower at acceleration that most of the other cars on the roads. As such I used to feel a pressure to 'catch up' with other cars, before I questioned myself and just reverted to driving her comfortably.

I frequently have drivers tailgating me (never understood the mentality of it). I accept a safe overtake, but don't understand why they maintain a gap of a few feet for what feels like miles. It's the only thing which ruins an otherwise pleasurable drive. It's horrible when I'm on a nice long stretch of road and I see the LED lights of some obese BMW or Audi thing get closer and closer.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tailgaters hope to induce you to travel faster because they are too incompetent to overtake.

Usually if you slow right down they can't stand it and actually overtake you.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I think the tailgaters hope to induce you to travel faster because they are too incompetent to overtake.

Usually if you slow right down they can't stand it and actually overtake you.

Peter

A topic that annoys many drivers, methinks?

The sage advice when dealing with those driving too close [less than a 2 second gap is 'too close''].... is to brake earlier than would normally be the case, but more gently. This apparently [according to the sage advice] allows the driver behind , time to take the essential action.

Personally....with a daily that was cheap to buy, and perhaps more 'solid' than the average Audi...I remind myself of the nice wee insurance claim I shall be putting in, if rear-ended...and take time to consider what sort of motr the current daily would be replaced by? Courtesy of the other party's insurance...or, action from my solicitor.

Bear in mind, a properly organised claim on the other's insurance yields far more than the scrap value of one's daily.

I rarely use my brakes.....a sign of the years spent driving for a living?

Hence, I will vary my speed as necessary, simply by using the first stage of slowing down..IE, coming off the gas!
My brake lights don't come on when I come off the gas....

Which can prove worrisome to drivers behind who are too close [Always the answer, they're too close to cope]
I am supposed to really care about others on the roads.....and often I do.....but when confronted by ignorance and idiocy, my ability to 'care' tends to go out of the window.

Much of the intimidation that is perceived, I believe, is entirely the fault of the manufacturers.

It is the manufacturers who simply have no care or consideration for the other road users out there, as long as their customers are 'happy'.
So the makers style their vehicle fronts to give an aggressive, intimidating appearance.
The makers have the concept that all the other plebs out there on the roads should 'get out of the way' of their customers.

An example if this is the lack of concern or consideration for all other road users, displayed by the likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Peugeot, etc....with the advent of those super bright [blue light, not cream light]....headlamps that seem to be the fashion these days.

Using the excuse [for that is what it really is...an excuse to further abdicate responsibility]...that it enables the BMW/Audi/etc driver to see much better at night....[Thereby encouraging them to go ever faster at night?], whilst totally disregarding the ability of other roads users, [oncoming as well as being followed]..to maintain their own vision, due to flash and glare.

There seems to me to be no concern by makers regarding the 'sharing' of the roads...

For sure, the bright lights mean they are more able to be noticed by others...But at the same time, those same lights destroy the ability of others to see everything else.

If that uspets anybody I know, tough. If all those with new cars[with those very bright headlights] wishes to know how much pain and irritation they cause to oncoming drivers, when they happen to 'flash' their headlights to say 'thank you'....then I suggest drivers, get a chair, and sit on the ground in front of their vehicles, about 20 or so feet away, facing the front of their new car. Then get someone to 'flash' the headlights whilst the owner is looking at their new car....Given that nearly all headlamp flashers use the 'main beam', those new headlights can actually cause real pain to someone who has just forfeited their own priority to allow the new car drive through, etc.

All the above is really about 'awareness'' of the 'impact we each have, on the well-being of other road users, by doing the sorts of things we consider to be innocent , in themselves.
Like, the flash of the headlamps, to say 'thanks?'
Or , being unaware of how intimidating the fronts of our own vehicles can appear, to others?

There simply isn't enough ''awareness'' for others out there, and the impact each of us has, doing what we do, as we feel entitled to do, ...from either drivers, or other road users, or vehicle manufacturers.

We live in a world that advocates, ''I'm alright , Jack, s@d you!''
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should move to the Chanel Islands. There the maximum speed is 40 MPH and they have a most civilised alternate "filter in turn" system for road junctions. They also have quaint traffic lights with no 'amber'.

I think you need very deep pockets to buy a house there so I will probably not be selling up any time soon.

Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

If that uspets anybody I know, tough. If all those with new cars[with those very bright headlights] wishes to know how much pain and irritation they cause to oncoming drivers, when they happen to 'flash' their headlights to say 'thank you'....then I suggest drivers, get a chair, and sit on the ground in front of their vehicles, about 20 or so feet away, facing the front of their new car. Then get someone to 'flash' the headlights whilst the owner is looking at their new car....Given that nearly all headlamp flashers use the 'main beam', those new headlights can actually cause real pain to someone who has just forfeited their own priority to allow the new car drive through, etc.

If it suits me to let someone through, and it means being stationary myself, I tend to close my eyes until either I see the flash on my eyelids, or my ears tell me that the front of the other vehicle has gone by.

Where acknowledgement is called for then I try to go down to sidelights for a moment, which answers the purpose without dazzling anyone... surely a modern car could do this for itself at night.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it suits me to let someone through, and it means being stationary myself, I tend to close my eyes until either I see the flash on my eyelids, or my ears tell me that the front of the other vehicle has gone by.

Indeed, a solution. But I do prefer to keep an eye on proceedings......Especially if the oncoming vehicle clips mine in passing? I do prefer to have seen & known what has gone on...even if most of my current vehicles can survive a clip without tearing my hair out afterwards.

It is solely the modern high intensity[AKA too bright] lights which cause me real pain when flashed a mere few yards in front of me.

Imagine standing in front of a camera, looking at it, and the flash suddenly goes off?

In all honesty, I don't believe owners of vehicles with those modern headlights actually realise how discomforting their headlamp flash is if one happens to be looking at it when it happens?
Which will usually be the case if 'given way' to?
Which is why I suggested above , that new owners should sit on a chair, 20 feet in front of their new car, look at the front of it, and get someone to quickly flash the headlights at them?

If the headlamp flash proves discomforting to the new owner...then perhaps they won't use it at close proximity to others, to say 'thank you?'
Hence, the thing about 'awareness' of the impact of one's vehicle when passing others?
Perhaps 'impact' is the wrong description when considering drivers and vehicles?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use lights to flash other vehicles, as it's all-too-often misinterpreted. I allow my driving style and actions to be the indication/signal of what I am intending to do.

In terms of dealing with tailgaters, I usually just ignore them or indicate to pull over and wave them on. Majority of the time I will not do this as it may cause the flow of traffic overall to be reduced.

My only other car is a 23 year old Peugeot 406 estate. Totally reliable and dependable and always driven safely, but again drivers probably view it as a "slow old car" and frequently travel too close with no anticipation or forward-planning.

I've only been driving 15 years but it took me most of that time to really start to master the art of driving, or more accurately, accommodating others on the road and fixing their mistakes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: