classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Found the source of the leak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Found the source of the leak Reply with quote

Got the Sceptre dried off and under cover and had a look for the source of the leak. It seems to be the offside lower corner of the rear windscreen. I haven't actually had a poke around yet but, from the photo I got, it looks pretty rotten.

If it's reasonably solid (I can hope) then I'll drench it with lanoguard, try to stop the leak with Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure, keep it dry and only use it on dry, summer days. I'm guessing having it repaired would be about £600-£800? If so, that's out of my reach. Any opinions re the likely cost?

A corollary of the leak is that the water has been running down the underside of the rear offside wing and soaking the felt soundproofing glued to the right hand side of the boot. The soundproofing sits on the boot floor and the water has been sitting there rotting away part of the rear boot floor.

Which is annoying as the rest of the boot looks not too bad at all really. But them's the breaks.

CWhaley1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Gazelle which also utilises sound deadening / insulation glued to the inside of the rear wings.

I found the material on the right wing to be sodden, too and as it happens found the leak at the bottom of a rubber seal around the rear screen in the same place as you. Water was seeping in (evident by a small trail of water on the inside) and working its way into the boot.

I filled socks with silica gel and temporarily removed the insulation/deadening. I then cleaned the rubber seal as best I could and applied a few layers of Captain Tolley's. Since then she's been out working in the rain and that tell-tale seep of water on the inside of the seal has gone. The boot is also bone dry (I fitted a new boot seal a couple of years ago).

Can't advise on the body repair, There are little bits like that on mine, but I'm just using and enjoying the car until I can afford to get bits like that done. She doesn't go out in heavy rain and the car is under a very waterproof/breathable cover when it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: