classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Genuine barn find.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently on holiday in Kent and saw an early Series 2 Traveller yesterday. It looked very nice but was over-restored to my eyes.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
Somewhat surprised the A-series engine fitted in a Series MM Minor. One of the alterations from the MM to the Series 2 was to the cross-brace on the bulkhead, which was flatter/straighter on the MM, but needed to be replaced by a curved version for the Series 2 and later cars so it crossed above the taller OHV 803cc and later A-series (948cc/1098cc) engines.

I am a little baffled by your comment because this is a Series 11 so would have had an A series engine from new.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
I'm currently on holiday in Kent and saw an early Series 2 Traveller yesterday. It looked very nice but was over-restored to my eyes.

This is the problem. I like a car to look period correct where possible. Once it gets different wheels and lowered suspension etc. I tend to loose interest no matter how good a restoration it might be.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick posted about the 1952 Series MM (918cc side-valve engine from Series E Morris Eight) which had a 1098cc A-series engine fitted. I was replying to that particular post but I should have hit the Quote button to reduce any confusion.

I will say though, that strictly speaking the 803cc engine fitted to the Series 2/II Minor and the Austin A30 wasn't known as the A-series at the time. It became the A-series with the major reworking of the 803cc engine and launched in 1956 in the A35 and 'Series 3' Minor 1000 (948cc). A point of interest is the 'Series 4' was given to the Mini-Minor in 1959, so the 1098cc Minor 1000, launched in 1962, was given the internal designation of Series 5. I have several books by Ray Newell on the post-war Minor which gives the details.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
This is the problem. I like a car to look period correct where possible. Once it gets different wheels and lowered suspension etc. I tend to loose interest no matter how good a restoration it might be.

A delicate topic Ray, especially since you have made some improvements on your TC as well. It is a thin line...
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Ray White wrote:

A delicate topic Ray, especially since you have made some improvements on your TC as well. It is a thin line...

Not really, as all my improvements are fully reversible and generally period appropriate. There is also the caveat that a basket case - no matter how well disguised - is still a basket case. I even have "matching numbers" which is more than can be said for many so called "original" cars out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: