classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Newbie here, cripply old bloke & my 'new' 1962 Rover P4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
CrippleDeDoDa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Newbie here, cripply old bloke & my 'new' 1962 Rover P4 Reply with quote

Hello 👋. Cheers for letting me sign up... I've being away from classic cars for quite awhile due to dodgy health, but when I was younger I had a 1967 Humber Sceptre MkII, which I had for over 12 years... Loved it... I've been looking for another, but all the ones I've seen have either have been either bodged, or are rotten as a pear!

I spotted this Rover 110, just a few miles from home, it has been stood for 10 years, not seized, seems structurally good, needs recomissioning, but the paintwork is poor.

I have been 'keeping my hand in' and been restoring and fettling, vintage invalid carriages in the intervening years.....another story! 😆

A question please, for Rover owners.... Sorry if I'm being thick..... The car has twin SU electric fuel pumps inside the boot. Power is getting to them. They are NOT ticking. I've tried the usual cleaning the contacts inside the pump(s) but no good. Assuming the fuel gauge is not accurate, as it is reading very low... By any chance, is the pump manufactured in such a way that if the car is out of petrol, the pump does not tick??

Here are some pictures, I'm looking forward to getting her neck on the road and I'm really pleased that I got there before the banger boys did!

All the best.
Cripply

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/tSmRdPsrabKQA257rE4TybpyGGSkqubiNJxFdxfwb7g
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of Vintage Invalid Carriages?
You will find many of us on here are interested to hear about ANY kind of conveyance.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to your question; if petrol is not getting to the pumps - an easy thing to check - the pumps will tick until they are pumping fuel and not air.

You correctly observe that the Rover P4 has twin pumps. These, as you will have noticed, are a dual pump and should you need to replace it may cost around 300 quid......so best try and restore it if possible. Shocked

Incidentally, your photos have not materialised.

Perhaps you could try using 'postimage' as your photos hosting service.
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Rover fuel pumps Reply with quote

If the power is getting to the pumps and the tank is empty the pumps will tick very fast. Have you tried earthing the pumps when switched on? It may be rust at the point where they earth.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

For an image link to work, the link has to be of the type that ends in say ".jpg", as this one doesn't I've just made it into a clickable regular link.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Smile

When SU fuel pumps have been standing idle for log periods, sometimes the points cleaning has to be quite aggressive to remove the oxidization.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: