classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

3ph Bench drill & Grinder FOC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: 3ph Bench drill & Grinder FOC Reply with quote

Hi

These are FOC for anyone who can collect from Nantwich within the next week, otherwise they are going in the skip!

No good to me as I don't have 3ph, as such I can't test them

3ph pillar drill

3ph Grinder

Contact me:

d a v e l aw t o n 1 0 0 at msn.com.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pillar drill's reference to lubrication by a brand called Gargoyle.
If your mention of 3 phase applies to both, who knew that B & D did 3 phase? Surely most of us thought they "only" did DIY home use use tools.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
I love the pillar drill's reference to lubrication by a brand called Gargoyle.
If your mention of 3 phase applies to both, who knew that B & D did 3 phase? Surely most of us thought they "only" did DIY home use use tools.

Your post made me double check the grinder, it is indeed a B&D UK made 3ph device.

Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Black & Decker stuff is perfectly servicable if it hasn't been abused and worn out. I have a drill that belonged to my grandfather and, although it appears small and underpowered by today's standards, I find it does a better job of drilling steel than a modern mains drill! The secret, I think, is that the gearing is quite low compared to modern kit which means the bit isn't running at too high a speed, so it can "bite into" the work rather than just skating over the surface and making a noise...
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B B. It may also be that the older ones didn't have a hammer function. Even when you don't have the hammer in operation the chuck is still able to "float back and forth, this is why modern drills don't work well in lathe beds like the older ones did with the suitable accessories.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
B B. It may also be that the older ones didn't have a hammer function. Even when you don't have the hammer in operation the chuck is still able to "float back and forth, this is why modern drills don't work well in lathe beds like the older ones did with the suitable accessories.

Penman: You may well be on to something there! Try finding a modern power drill without some sort of hammer function, they all have it even if it doesn't work very well. I have an old Bosch drill that Dad got off the tiger tokens (!) that still works even though it's about as old as I am and similarly well worn... Had it apart a few times to fit new flex and I was surprised by how simple / crude the hammer mechanism is, though it works pretty well.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
The older Black & Decker stuff is perfectly servicable if it hasn't been abused and worn out. I have a drill that belonged to my grandfather and, although it appears small and underpowered by today's standards, I find it does a better job of drilling steel than a modern mains drill! The secret, I think, is that the gearing is quite low compared to modern kit which means the bit isn't running at too high a speed, so it can "bite into" the work rather than just skating over the surface and making a noise...

This is my ancient and well used B&D drill which like you say is perfectly serviceable albeit small and relatively low powered. It is my "go to" tool when my other more powerful drill is too big to get into a tight spot.

How about that for "patina"?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

This is my ancient and well used B&D drill which like you say is perfectly serviceable albeit small and relatively low powered. It is my "go to" tool when my other more powerful drill is too big to get into a tight spot.

How about that for "patina"?

Now that IS an old one, Ray! I can well believe its usefulness in a tight spot given how short in length it appears to be; I'm assuming that's a pretty standard biscuit tin it's in?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is just an ordinary biscuit tin. The drill spent many years attached to a home made pillar stand. Originally it belonged to my Father in Law who used it for clock repairs. What I also like is there is no plastic.

They just don't make stuff like it now!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plastic...that's something to tell the young generation!!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
No plastic...that's something to tell the young generation!!
whilst explaining what that funny angled thing in the chuck is for! Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always taped my chuck key to the flex, far enough down so that I could operate it properly.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
always taped my chuck key to the flex, far enough down so that I could operate it properly.

There is a second chuck key taped to the flex (not in picture).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: