classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Battery charging question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I spoke too soon!

The battery is flat as a pancake again. No interior lights on and the fob ariel disabled.

I will have to go through all the non ignition related fuses (when it's not so cold for standing about!) to see if I can find the voltage drain.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petrol cap is located behind a small door let into the side of the car. This is operated by a push button on the dashboard which (I presume) operates a solenoid that withdraws a pin from the catch. This switch is designed to work independently of the ignition.

Normally the push button will return automatically but for a while now I have had trouble with it getting stuck down... and it occurred to me that perhaps this could be the cause of my the battery going flat?

I have tried to lubricate the push button but it still sticks ...so I glued a knob onto it so I can pull it up manually. Very Happy
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
The petrol cap is located behind a small door let into the side of the car. This is operated by a push button on the dashboard which (I presume) operates a solenoid that withdraws a pin from the catch. This switch is designed to work independently of the ignition.

Normally the push button will return automatically but for a while now I have had trouble with it getting stuck down... and it occurred to me that perhaps this could be the cause of my the battery going flat?

I have tried to lubricate the push button but it still sticks ...so I glued a knob onto it so I can pull it up manually. Very Happy

That does sound suspicious, let's hope you have found the trouble now!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I have mentioned it ...but there would normally be a cord in the rear corner of the car that could be pulled to open the little door manually. Unfortunately this had long before my time come adrift leaving just a useless length of cord. Mad

I removed arm fulls of interior trim to find the other end of the broken cord ...only to find that it passes through the cavity between the double skin of the body and is therefore inaccessible. It should be possible got get to the solenoid but that would mean much more trim removal; including carpets which on these cars is not easy.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I don't know if I have mentioned it ...but there would normally be a cord in the rear corner of the car that could be pulled to open the little door manually. Unfortunately this had long before my time come adrift leaving just a useless length of cord. Mad

I removed arm fulls of interior trim to find the other end of the broken cord ...only to find that it passes through the cavity between the double skin of the body and is therefore inaccessible. It should be possible got get to the solenoid but that would mean much more trim removal; including carpets which on these cars is not easy.

It sounds like you're praying the solenoid never gives trouble Laughing It's just a thought, but if that push button turns out to be the problem, would it be possible to insert a relay into its feed to make it ignition controlled?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the P38 electrics I am frankly out of my depth.... I can, however now use the push button by pulling it up should it stick down.

Time will tell if the battery holds it's charge.

Fingers crossed. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: