classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spark plugs in older engines - fouling/shorting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to ultra sonic cleaners.

I strapped a random orbital sander to the bottom of a plastic bucket.

Bit noisy but it works for me.
AND it's cheap.

Might try some insulation around it to make it quieter.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
With reference to ultra sonic cleaners.

I strapped a random orbital sander to the bottom of a plastic bucket.

Bit noisy but it works for me.
AND it's cheap.

Might try some insulation around it to make it quieter.

Most ultrasonic cleaners operate around 100 KHz, your sander will oscillate around 12k per min or about 0.2 KHz, if it does the job great , but the fact you can hear it means it ain't ultrasonic !

Cheers

Dave
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner to see if it would clean my spark plugs. In a rotary engine the plugs are special with an almost closed end. there is just a very small central hole with the electrode. They are made this way to keep the compression in the chamber. They are also expensive.

I bought a JPL 7000 from Amazon for £32. See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=JPL%207000%20Ultrasonic%20Cleaner%20with%20Digital%20Timer%20for%20Cds%2FDvds

It worked well but I had to use it 3 times on the 480 second to get the best results.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, It is many years since I have had much to do with Veteran cars, and these thoughts might be completely irrelevant, but then again they might help.

Firstly engines, even up to the 1950's were expected to burn oil, that is, a certain amount of oil found its way into the combustion chamber. The earlier the engine, the more likely that is to be the case.

The photo below is of spark plugs made especially for an engine that the design dates from 1908.

Notice how the bottom electrode goes to the side of the center one, and how that bottom electrode has a definite upward bend to its tip. The theory here is that any moisture- non atomised fuel, oil etc., if it lands on the plug will probably land on that electrode, and because of the bend, will gravitate downwards, away from the spark gap, therefore the moisture will not interfere with the ability of the plug to create a spark.

There were, of course, plugs for these particular cars, of almost any design imaginable, but the ones in the photograph have proved themselves over time, are considered the ideal plug for the engine and they have proven longevity, powering the engines for many decades without failure.

Just maybe, the Alldays might need a plug of similar design.

I hope that might help,
Dane.
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pause of ten years and up pops this topic again, suspected premature plug fouling causing a failure to re-start with the engine hot. Usual suspects such as weak spark, fuel vaporisation all eliminated. The car is a Riley RM 1?-litre with mildly improved compression; though rebored and with new pistons some thousands ago it does ingest a bit of oil on the overrun which it blows out in a blue cloud at the bottom of a long hill. So its engine is good though not perfect. And the car is (was) utterly dependable!
I read the article which Green Spark Plugs republish, https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/fouling-shortingout-problem-modern-plugs-champion-vs-ngk/, suggesting that the insulators of modern plugs in old cars get coated with deposits from petrol, which conduct away the spark. It doesn't happen in newer cars, says the author, because their computers and metering systems prevent this happening. And it only happens now because plug manufacturers have given up glazing their ceramic electrodes, so the conductive deposits can now stick.
In the past ten years has any more come to light on this topic? I don't enjoy driving a formerly reliable car not knowing whether I am going to suffer an embarrassing breakdown.
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pause of ten years and up pops this topic again, suspected premature plug fouling causing a failure to re-start with the engine hot. Usual suspects such as weak spark, fuel vaporisation all eliminated. The car is a Riley RM 1?-litre with mildly improved compression; though rebored and with new pistons some thousands ago it does ingest a bit of oil on the overrun which it blows out in a blue cloud at the bottom of a long hill. So its engine is good though not perfect. And the car is (was) utterly dependable!
I read the article which Green Spark Plugs republish, https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/fouling-shortingout-problem-modern-plugs-champion-vs-ngk/, suggesting that the insulators of modern plugs in old cars get coated with deposits from petrol, which conduct away the spark. It doesn't happen in newer cars, says the author, because their computers and metering systems prevent this happening. And it only happens now because plug manufacturers have given up glazing their ceramic electrodes, so the conductive deposits can now stick.
In the past ten years has any more come to light on this topic? I don't enjoy driving a formerly reliable car not knowing whether I am going to suffer an embarrassing breakdown.
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say that again! Smile
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Spark plug Fouling Reply with quote

Maybe try a set of new plugs.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a cooler plug?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try another set of plugs from a different manufacturer just to see if anything changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: