classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Oxford MO registration was KSU 995 PLEASE HELP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
CrippleDeDoDa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Morris Oxford MO registration was KSU 995 PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote

Hello. Please can anyone help with this one? I am looking to buy a 1952 Morris Oxford MO. it WAS registered KSU 995 (according to the V5c, it lost its original plate in 1989)

The current keeper did NOT put the car into their name... The previous keeper was in Sunderland in 2017, when the car was on this plate KSU 995.

I have done a HPI check on the Oxford and the registration number is now on a Pontiac !!!. I have spoken to DVLA who have been next to unhelpful, I tried again and have them the chassis number, the adviser, (the second time I called) was helpful but could not find any registration number from it....

Does anyone know how I can find out what the replace registration number is now on the Oxford after KSU 995 was transferred to the Pontiac?

Thank you in advance!! 😆
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very surprised to learn a car reregistered with a replacement number plate has had that number removed and placed on another car. The DVLA tend to issue those as 'Non Transferable'.

Have you tried contacting the 6/80 MO Owners Club? They may be able to put you in touch with the current owner if they're a member.

www.carandclassic.com/clubs/the-680-mo-club

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd! When the number was transferred to the Pontiac DVLA should have issued a new number to the Morris. This sounds like an error on the part of the DVLA, so if you get no joy register a complaint through their Complaints Team. This can be escalated to the Chief Executive's Office, and then take it up with your local MP - it's a waste of time going to Mark Harper (Secretary of State for Transport) as he will just side-step the issue.
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Number plates Reply with quote

I assume the Pontiac was imported so how did it get a domestic registration.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Number plates Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
Very surprised to learn a car reregistered with a replacement number plate has had that number removed and placed on another car. The DVLA tend to issue those as 'Non Transferable'.

Have you tried contacting the 6/80 MO Owners Club? They may be able to put you in touch with the current owner if they're a member.

www.carandclassic.com/clubs/the-680-mo-club
"Non-Transferable" registrations were introduced in the early 90's when the value in non-age-related plates rose and folk were flogging them , getting a new age related number, selling it and repeating the process.

bjacko wrote:
I assume the Pontiac was imported so how did it get a domestic registration.
In the UK the DVLA issue registrations based on vehicle age regardless of the vehicles original territory.

When we imported a car from France that had previously been exported from the UK, the DVLA re-issued the original number, we didn't ask for this in fact we didn't know the original number . We only realised we had the original number back when the French number plates were removed exposing the original UK plates, so the DVLA must be able to search a vehicle details via chassis number.

Going through a club that the DVLA recognises would be the best approach.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/657b07170467eb001355f84e/v765-1-list-of-vehicle-owners-clubs-pdf.pdf
Dave
CrippleDeDoDa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: With many thanks Reply with quote

I really am grateful to everyone for everyone taking the time to post a reply. Indeed the v5c didn't say it was NOT transferable, so I don't think it was a cock up as such at DVLA just they won't tell you anything!! I have decided to pull out of the purchase on the safe side, the last thing I want is a car without an I'D or even worse one on a Q Plate!!! Thanks again.... I'm going to do another post as I'm determined to get something ready for the summer, and I need to pick brains... Many Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: