classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Scrap batteries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Scrap batteries Reply with quote

A scrap dealer called round yesterday offering 6 quid for any scrap lead acid starter batteries, is this a fair price?

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current UK prices for batteries is around ?420-450 per tonne. So 42-45p a kilo.

How heavy is the battery?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Scrap batteries Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
A scrap dealer called round yesterday offering 6 quid for any scrap lead acid starter batteries, is this a fair price?

Dave

Whenever I'd had a few old ones kicking about, I take them to the scrap metal place nr Sainsburys and they put them on the scales and give you a cheque. Not sure on current prices mind!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think I got more than that last time I weighed a couple of old batteries in. Of course the value of scrap fluctuates all the time, and batteries come in various different sizes, but if this guy is offering a flat six quid each then it's because he reckons on making a profit on them.

I recently had some scrap steel - I don't reckon it's worth my bothering with the small amounts of ferrous I ever have to dispose of - hanging around the back lane here for a week before I humped it round to the front street where it was more visible... Not long ago the scrap elves were along the lane all the time and it would have been gone by the end of the next day, I don't know what's happened!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have a stash of old dead batteries down the yard, a couple larger lorry ones in there too. They will be weighed in when we need to raise some funds for the engine rebuild on our new Commer project.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have a stash of old dead batteries down the yard, a couple larger lorry ones in there too. They will be weighed in when we need to raise some funds for the engine rebuild on our new Commer project.
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get you to send him around here! My little vintage club had a "battery drive" and collected about a ton of dead battery's, mostly off district farms and I think the total we got was about $300 (Ausy, about 150 quid)
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty,

Is 'your little vintage club' the SW VCC based in Dardanup?

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Keith, I "am" a member of the Donnybrook branch of the V.C.C. W.A. but my little vintage club I sometimes refer to is "The Quairading Vintage Club", based in the wheatbelt town of Quairading about 120 miles East of Perth. I am retired now, and moved down to Bunbury, but still keep in touch when I go up there.

Graham
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:09 am    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

If you think it is hard to get rid of lead acid batteries wait until these electric car batteries start failing! Also the batteries that people are adding to their roof solar panel systems.
Most people will probably dump the whole car at a wreckers and give them the problem, mainly because the cost of a new battery will be more than the car is worth.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead acid batteries aren't hard to get rid of once you get round to it, and if you can't be bothered just leaving it outside will usually do the trick Wink I'm sure I read that they're something like 98% recyclable and so they do have a value. The lithium ion batteries used in electric cars are known to be difficult to recycle and that's going to be a whole new problem in the future, it could end up being nearly as big a problem as nuclear waste!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: