classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Guildford Surrey
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Guildford Surrey Reply with quote

For anyoneone in the SE maybe.

https://guildford-dragon.com/notice-guildford-lions-classic-car-display-sunday-april-7/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Guildford. I think it was imaginative to close the High Street for the event. Should be a good show.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born and Bred Guildfordian me, Ray. When were you there.? The Dragon is a good way of keeping in touch with the area, the people who nrun it used to be on the Surrey Advertiser..

Straight 6
V8 V10
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Guildford Surrey Plus Bus Centenary. Reply with quote

If you are into Buses,there is also a Centenary event coming up.

https://guildford-dragon.com/safeguard-coaches-celebrates-centenary-with-free-community-event-saturday-march-16/

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
If you are into Buses,there is also a Centenary event coming up.

https://guildford-dragon.com/safeguard-coaches-celebrates-centenary-with-free-community-event-saturday-march-16/

One immediately recalls the days of Dennis Brothers at Guildford...........
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Dennis are still in the area and often turn up at such events.
Also Dennis Soc, have many "Avershot and Risk It" buses on their list of preserved ones, whether Safeguard ever had any, I'm not sure, but feel there must have been some Lancet models.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In her younger days my Mother was a 'clippie' with A&D....... "anymore fares?" Very Happy

She needed to be quite shrill to be heard on the double decker and was rather unkindly dubbed "corncrake Annie" Laughing

"plenty more room upstairs" Very Happy
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she do the 28 Stoughton, Manor Road. with it's Butlins Holiday Camp call for Grange Road and the ATS/WRAC camp.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Did she do the 28 Stoughton, Manor Road. with it's Butlins Holiday Camp call for Grange Road and the ATS/WRAC camp.

Details are sketchy, I'm afraid.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder.

https://guildford-dragon.com/notice-guildford-lions-classic-car-display-april-7/

The first 3 items on here feature photos from the Safequard centenary mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://guildford-dragon.com/?s=safeguard&x=0&y=0

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Penman. I missed your question about when did I live in Guildford?. It would have been in the late '70s/early '80's. Jean and I bought a pretty cottage in Shalford (on the A281) which was a place I loved dearly. The House, 34, The Street, dated to 1530 and had many original features. It has a back garden that went up to a woods. Looking back over the rooftops one could see the old Mill on the River Tillingbourne, with views of the North Downs beyond. From the other side of the woods the were beautiful views out over the Wey navigation and the expansive water meadows extending to Peasmarsh. I could go on.....

The point you made (that I missed) about my Mum being a "Clippie" was that my Dad's sister, Brenda, was in the Wrens at Guildford. That could well have been on her route. My Mum and Brenda had never got on and on one occasion, she rang the bell shouting "all full" and the bus left leaving poor Brenda at the stop. There were, of course, plenty of seats...but my Mum would have thought that funny; but then she was a bit like that.!

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Hi Penman. I missed your question about when did I live in Guildford?. It would have been in the late '70s/early '80's. Jean and I bought a pretty cottage in Shalford (on the A281) which was a place I loved dearly.

Slightly off-topic, but my all-time favourite band of all time used to practice in their early years (early to mid 70s) in the Scout Hut at Shalford.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Hi Penman. I missed your question about when did I live in Guildford?. It would have been in the late '70s/early '80's. Jean and I bought a pretty cottage in Shalford (on the A281) which was a place I loved dearly.

Slightly off-topic, but my all-time favourite band of all time used to practice in their early years (early to mid 70s) in the Scout Hut at Shalford.

I remember there was also an expert in Citroen DS cars at a time when many garages would simply turn them away.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

That would be the Stranglers, then.

bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Dennis Buses Reply with quote

The mention of Dennis and buses reminded me of the old Dennis bus the North Western Road Car Company (North Western) of Stockport used to substitute for our school bus when they were short of buses. It was so slow and made a similar whine to the old Riley cars. This was back in the early 1950's.The bus used to come to our village in Alderley Edge Cheshire from the Biddulph Staffordshire depot, pick us up and a few more to Wilmslow 2 miles down the road then "express" to Cheadle. It the returned to the Wilmslow depot and the driver caught a bus back to Biddulph, had his lunch and returned to Wilmslow, picked up his bus and picked us all up at Cheadle, then"express" to Wilmslow and dropped us all off, the empty bus then went back to Biddulph.
It was obviously a government contract!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: