classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that I now have a working ignition warning light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See here.......

Here is my schematic diagram for the relays (excepting indicators).

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news indeed, what was the fault?
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Good news indeed, what was the fault?

I had used some 3m ScotchLocks which had failed. I expect they were 30 years old so I have only myself to blame.

I removed one block of four relay holders and re placed the connections using soldered fittings.

HOPEFULLY - with that problem solved - I can now get on... Wink
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Scotch Locks as long as they can't be seen!

However as with any IDC, for reliability it's critical the the correct combination of cable size and connecter is used.
petelang

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an apprentice at Lucas, if my mentor ever saw me use a scotchlock he would bat me round the head with whatever came to hand.
I've never used them since, but seen oh so many faults caused by them. Rubbish things. They also allow corrosion to enter your cables and you end up cutting out big sections to repair.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited the IDC Scotch Locks (insulation displacement contact) from my late Father in Law who was a retired auto electrician at a garage. I expect they were used to speed up repairs; not worrying about the long term.

Until speaking to another auto electrician I was unaware that they had a questionable reputation.
Although he didn't help with my car, he claimed to have made a lot of money from them!!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole telecom industry worldwide moved from soldered to IDC connections in the 60's for reasons including reliability, literally millions of connections that had to work for decades.

I go back to my original point , that for reliability it's critical the the correct combination of cable size and connecter is used.

Unfortunately many folk ignored this, including auto electricians! the connecters are not waterproof yet have often been used in an exposed environment.

Its a bit like using a 1/4" UNF nut on an M6 bolt and then blaming the nut when it fails!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving on from the ignition warning light saga; today I fitted the CSI electronic distributor. The general opinion is that of all the 16 available settings, the first one is best.

Establishing TDC is not as easy as it could be because there are no markings but there are ways round the problem.

One thing that I had not been warned about is that the clamping screw cannot locate in it's slot because the distributor body needs to rotate further than one would expect. I can see me extending the indent to accept the screw...unless there is another answer to it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery as to why the CSI distributor could not turn far enough to allow the flashing blue light to remain on steady is solved. The original had a horizontal groove for the locking screw... and the new one has a vertical groove!

With the screw removed there is enough movement to allow the light to stay on.

It calls for a different method of clamping. Truth is that I have been supplied with a distributor for a Mini Cooper. At first I was worried but a call to the supplier helped. He has built many competition engines and has found the quick Mini distributor a better match for a bored out XPAG with fast road cam and supercharger than the one normally fitted to a TC.

I would liked to have fitted the original clamp with it's neat vernier adjuster...but unfortunately, the rivets have worn so it is not recommended. I am going to need a later one piece clamp as fitted to the TD and perhaps add a distance piece (thick washer) to compensate.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My patience has been sorely tested recently. I thought I had sorted all the electrical gremlins but then every thing died.

After a lot of searching I discovered a loose connector on a wire that feeds the ammeter. It is quite a heavy duty spade connector and was part of the new loom that I bought from Auto Sparks...I would have expected better from them.

I have now soldered on a new connector and (dare I say it) made a pretty decent job of it. Every one of my connectors - mainly bullet types - are soldered on, so I have developed a technique for doing them. I even do them in my sleep!!!

The upshot of all this work is that I now have a healthy spark at the plugs for the first time in nearly 5 years! With oil in the sump, water/antifreeze mix in the engine and petrol in the tank I am just about ready to see if she will run!

Keith D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting very close now, Ray! I hope you make a video for us all to see when you start her up.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Getting very close now, Ray! I hope you make a video for us all to see when you start her up.

Keith

Hi Keith. I am not sure how to do a video but I have a neighbour who is happy to steer me in the right direction.

I am of course a bit anxious about starting the engine for the first time; mainly because I had to go back to basics and assemble it without the usual timing marks on the new timing wheels. Even the crank pulley (a double one for the blower) had no marks on it. The original timing chain had a white painted link and that was missing from the replacement.

I had further issues with the 'fast road' camshaft that came with no numbers/markings at all. The supplier even gave me incorrect advice about the degrees of advance... (The manufacturers say 110 ATDC with No I inlet max lift and not 107 on exhaust as I had been told).

Eventually I discovered that the cam I had been sold was not the one for a supercharger but should have twin SU carbs. I had to accept the hand I was dealt and spoke to the manufacturers who said it would be o.k.

We shall see.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The much anticipated start up has had to be put on hold. I have no oil pressure.

I did have oil pressure when I checked the compression but that was a long time ago.

These engines are notorious for this. You have to pack the pump gears with Vaseline to get the initial oil pressure and this is what I will have to do again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The oil pump is now packed with Vaseline. Tomorrow I will also prime the filter. With any luck, the oil pressure will be restored. If it's not...then I don't know.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day worrying about having no oil pressure. Someone suggested I might have an air lock.

First I removed the spark plugs making the engine easier to turn over. I then jacked up the car so that one rear wheel was on the ground.

Then with the priming hole plug removed from the pump I inserted a small, narrow funnel with a length of clear plastic tubing attached which I filled with engine oil.

With a forward gear engaged I rotated the free wheel anti clockwise. The effect of turning the engine backwards forced the pump to suck in the oil from the funnel; removing the air lock.

It worked. I can now turn the engine over on the starter and it shows good oil pressure.

Now the petrol pump has stopped working. Rolling Eyes
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SU fuel pumps that have been standing for a while are prone to the contacts oxidising, normally they just require a quick clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 65 of 67

Jump to: