classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

TV Classic Car shows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Author Message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 11:17 pm    Post subject: TV Classic Car shows. Reply with quote

I have just watched the latest episode of Ant Anstead trying to make a profit on old cars; ostensibly to finance a house renovation. The Alfa Romeo Giulia that he bought as a non runner and with no steering returned a loss of about 2K.

I was shouting at the TV when he bought the car from a dealer for way too much and found myself with little in the way of sympathy when he took it to Auction and made a hefty loss despite putting in a fair amount of work to get it roadworthy.

Anyone else see this guy's antics with old cars?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
consul 57



Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 632
Location: somerset

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not seen that one yet but seen all the terestial tv ones so far, they always pay too much for cars tbh.
i am surprised he has made any money at all with some of them.
bit like bangers & cash restorations prog, only a few make any profit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

consul 57 wrote:
i have not seen that one yet but seen all the terestial tv ones so far, they always pay too much for cars tbh.
i am surprised he has made any money at all with some of them.
bit like bangers & cash restorations prog, only a few make any profit.


At least the Bangers and Cash team hand over their cars (from what I have seen) to professionals who generally do a good job with what they are given. I have seen this Anstead chappie before. He has worked with other get rich quick merchants like Mike Morris from 'Wheeler Dealers' ...and they always do a hurried, low cost fix which is often not as good as it could be.

The programme that I always watch is car SOS; if only to see them revive something that is frankly too far gone.! I think they give the lie that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. At least they are ostensibly doing it for a 'good cause' and not pretending that restoring classic cars is a profitable business. Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
petelang



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 480
Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed the series from last year. He has made a bit on a few, but he's really not a very bright guy when it comes to money issues. In fact, he's not quite the "born mechanic" either. Typical TV trash with usual jeopardy thrown in.
Far better is Flipping Bangers.
_________________
Daimler Fifteen 1934 (now sold)
Armstrong Siddeley 15 Long 1933
Daimler V8 250 1969
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
I've followed the series from last year. He has made a bit on a few, but he's really not a very bright guy when it comes to money issues. In fact, he's not quite the "born mechanic" either. Typical TV trash with usual jeopardy thrown in.
Far better is Flipping Bangers.


I find myself ridiculing Anstead when he makes what are quite elementary mistakes. I could have told him that much bigger brake discs would not fit the wheels.

Fitting the steering box before making sure the column would go under the dash was another.

As to the bubble car; I am surprised he didn't set it on fire! (The carb is close to the dynastart which had flames coming out of it!)

Probably the biggest slip up is buying a car from a dealer and selling it at auction. Where does he think dealers get their cheap cars from?

In the latest episode Ant starts fretting that he will need a new clutch when all that it needed was freeing off. I would have thought anyone who has been around old cars that have stood for a time would have know that?

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MikeEdwards



Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 2863
Location: South Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2026 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been recording the current series of "Bangers and Cash" but I've now progressed from watching it on 6x speed and stopping if there's anything that looks interesting to just looking at what they list in the programme guide and deleting it if there's nothing of interest mentioned. As for the rest of them, I don't really bother - I've got loads of other stuff to watch, and as others have mentioned, most of them contain some sort of nonsense of some sort, either rubbish spoken, or jobs badly done. I used to watch some to learn, but they don't seem to do that any more and there are Youtube channels that are more interesting. A lot of those are more filler than content, though.
_________________
1976 Vauxhall HP Firenza, 1976 Vauxhall Sportshatch (x2), 1986 Audi coupe quattro, 2000 Audi TT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rootes75



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 4314
Location: The Somerset Levels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is he really the one choosing the cars for restoration? I'd have thought his research team find something that sounds interesting or appealing?
_________________
Various Rootes Vehicles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
But is he really the one choosing the cars for restoration? I'd have thought his research team find something that sounds interesting or appealing?


That sounds much more plausible.

It can surely be no coincidence that each programme features a different vehicle. That is not a sensible business model; more likely a decision that is being made in the interests of entertainment.

The last programme I watched was when Ant and his father went to see a Rover P5b. It was a shed. Anyone else would have walked away ...but no; a programme was being made and I expect the TV company were standing by to pick up the tab!... ??

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
consul 57



Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 632
Location: somerset

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:
But is he really the one choosing the cars for restoration? I'd have thought his research team find something that sounds interesting or appealing?


That sounds much more plausible.

It can surely be no coincidence that each programme features a different vehicle. That is not a sensible business model; more likely a decision that is being made in the interests of entertainment.

The last programme I watched was when Ant and his father went to see a Rover P5b. It was a shed. Anyone else would have walked away ...but no; a programme was being made and I expect the TV company were standing by to pick up the tab!... ??
it may be worth looking at one of the early edd china progs on his youtube channel where he & his mate paul from wheeler dealers where taliking about w/d before the split, where they went through how paul would look at the cars prior to mike brewer seeing them so they got an idea of what was wrong & potential problems before edd got it.


.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest purchase was a Morgan 4/4. The first error (in my opinion) was not to set the tappets when renewing the rocker cover gasket; especially as it hadn't been off for many years.

The fact that Ant was left clueless about the absence of oil pressure after replacing the oil pump gasket, is perhaps understandable if he has not had much to do with older cars like the Morgan... but fortunately his mechanic friend knew the old Vaseline trick. I went through the same thing with my TC. !

The biggest mistake, however, was putting it to auction without a reserve.


Overall, he lost 6,800 pounds. Shocked

What it has taught me though is that I will probably have to keep hold of my MG TC; at least until the market recovers......if it ever does!

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ukdave2002



Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 4424
Location: South Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any of these programs we are not watching a documentary, its an "entertainment show" with salaried presenters, the show will have a budget, so having to make a profit on individual restorations is not essential.

The presenters wont personally take a hit on a loss or profit when the car makes money, if that were the case they would take a much lower risk on the vehicles selected, and concentrate on similar models that they would be familiar with, the show would then have less jeopardy, which the production companies will equate to lower entertainment value.

If you want reality then YouTube is a better source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Keith D



Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 1202
Location: Upper Swan, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]If you want reality then YouTube is a better source.[quote]

I don't think so Dave. YouTube has been ruined by AI. I've never seen so much rubbish disguised as facts

Keith
_________________
1926 Chrysler 60 tourer (100 years old! - a genuine antique!)
1950 Austin A40 tourer
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 7725
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be naive but I can't help feeling that "flipping bangers" has an element of honesty about it. Those two guys are, I think, quite believable .... or at least more plausible than most of the others. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
alastairq



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Posts: 2266
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think so Dave. YouTube has been ruined by AI. I've never seen so much rubbish disguised as facts


I agree.

Problem is, can we be really, truely, bothered to put the information to rights?
And if so, the response will be...'which version is correct?'

As with all social media, I am very selective about the channels I watch.

Then, only for entertainment...
_________________
Dellow Mk2, 1951 built, reg 1952.
Fiat 126 BIS
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
OCC Merch link
Forum T&C


php BB powered © php BB Grp.