classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Painting plastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Painting plastic. Reply with quote

Is there a paint that will adhere to and change the colour of plastic trim?

I'm thinking here about dashboard vinyl, the plastic steering wheel, swithchgear perhaps?
I remember the old 'vinykote' that changed the colour of plastic seating - is that still available under another name?

Or has anyone had experience in painting interior trim to good effect...I'm tired of black!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really easy to do. If you are using rattle cans, which I assume you are, clean the plastic, use the primer made for plastic bumpers, then you can spray any colour you want on top of it... I used the technique a couple of months ago on my dash... Shocked

Of course, test first on a little piece somewhere, and I suspect that if there is a lot of movement on the part, it may flake off....

Vinylkote is still available, cant remember what it is called now though...
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta UJ,

The french car interiors were always a nicer place to be than the UK spec ones and I want to recreate this if possible.

Do you think the process you mentioned will withstand the constant handling of a steering wheel?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these companies all the time
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8152&frostProductName=Interior%20Coat%20(400ml)&catID=21&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-118-vinyl-renovation.aspx

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greeney.

Y'know I was sat in bed at 7am this morning looking through a Frost catalogue and couldn't find a thing! Laughing

The main bit to paint would be the plastic dash/vent thing as I can't buy an original French one as it would be a LHD item.
that woolies stuff looks interesting, wonder what colours they have?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont really see any reason why not...its only subject to wear, and anyway, it is possible to touch up. But as I say, try it first somewhere that doesnt matter. If you have a spare steering wheel, then that might be the way to go for a test..

The vinyl paint you asked about is called Plasti-Kote Vinyl spray paint. Its available in 19 different colours, if you include the clear.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know they will do a colour match if you send in a swatch (not a watch)
if you are worried about the steering wheel you could always cover it in a fake fur cover Wink Shocked
I think I have a blue steering wheel and column might go nice with grey Idea

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks, got my heart set on a pale interior.

Every UK 2cv that I have ever owned has been black inside no matter what colour the paintwork, this time I'm having a complete change. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: