classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1964 International Harvester
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: 1964 International Harvester Reply with quote

I bought my truck off Ebay (US) a couple of years ago. I have bought cars in the U.S. before but I normally fly in and drive them to NJ. This was the first bought by photo job and it was the farthest away. It was a one driver, one owner truck I believe, having been owned from new by the Las Vegas Valley District Water Company and used by one person. He then bought it from the company when he retired. Until I bought it, it had never been outside of the valley. That is until it was loaded on a truck to Long Beach for shipping to Bristol.
It is rare to find these old "Binders" in such a rust free condition. In fact, when I cleaned under the front wings, I was back to the original factory blue, which it turns out was fittingly called "Vegas Blue". The water company had painted it in their colours, but under the hood and in the cab was original.

I am not too sure where I am going with project, is it going to be kept original or do I change a few things, namely engine and transmission! I did install a Transit diesel engine and 5 speed, but changed my mind and put the original 2.5 slant 4 cyl and 3 speed back in, then took it out ready for a 3.8 V6 and auto Rolling Eyes Time will tell.

stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Still see a few of these in farm country here (Iowa) but the slant 4 is getting to be a rarity. I might of been tempted to leave it in but I also like more hp.
The 4 is looking good. Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH, I'm sometimes tempted by old International 1/2 ton trucks, whats the parts situation like on say a 40s model? any ideas? I assume most bits need to be sourced in the US rather than over here?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internationals were never built in the same high numbers like Chevy and Ford and that is reflected in the amount of good trucks about. Also I think that because of the lower numbers there is not a big parts market. Like our Minor, Mini. and MGB's there are thousands of old Ford and Chevy trucks about and a parts supply to match demand.

One the one thing I have found is the terrific amount of help I have received from other IH owners. Perhaps being a smaller family, people try help out that bit more. When I lost a small spring clip I only had to post my predicament on a IH forum and I had a dozen in the mail.....great. I have had guys go to a wrecking yard where they thought they had seen a truck like mine, pull parts and mail them to me. I think that IH perhaps sold most of their trucks to farmers as they also manufactured tractors and almost every other piece of farm equipment. Generally I would say that for parts you have to keep your eye on Ebay and the for sale section of the IH forums.
I have been very lucky in that I found someone who runs a IH franchise in the mid west and I would guess that through their contacts and IH parts database has managed to find me some original parts at far lower price than some other sources. She is my Superstar Very Happy

Bodies can be a bit prone to rust but mechanically strong......Go on buy one! Very Happy
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite not feeling top dollar, I forced myself out into the garage today,
and finally got the front axle is back together. All new spring bushes, king pins, brake shoes and shocks. Good day.. Very Happy

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice n clean under there DH, very nice!! always better than working with grubby oily old bits isn't it!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: