classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Starter motors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Starter motors. Reply with quote

I recently exchanged the starter motor on my Sprite for a more up-to-date item with the disc type commutator.
I am interested to know if these are more efficient than to old barrel type or it was just to reduce the length. My A7 special has the battery mounted under the boot and the voltage drop, while not appearing to affect the starter motor, seems to affect the power of the spark.
The simple answer would probably be to run a dedicated wire, direct from the battery, for the ignition or to fit a lower voltage coil with a ballast resistor. There are practical difficulties with running the extra wire and a starter motor with a lower power consumption is a more attractive proposition. Confused
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day you can't change the laws of physics, size does matter Confused but one thing I never got my head round as an electrical & electronics engineer was magnetism! I learned all the theory to pass exams, but never really understood it well enough to comment, is there any spec supplied with this new motor?
My modern, a 6 series BM has the battery in the boot (in the spare wheel well Shocked but you dont get a spare wheel these days! just a run flat tyres) and has a dirty thick cable to the front of the car, just like mini's used to have Very Happy

UKD
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter motors. Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
My A7 special has the battery mounted under the boot and the voltage drop, while not appearing to affect the starter motor, seems to affect the power of the spark.

I'm not sure from what you describe whether the new motor works better or worse than the old one so please excuse if I've got the wrong end of the stick. Assuming there is a difference between the ignition performance with
the two motors I would guess that the easiest test would be to measure the voltage at the motor then swap and check the other one. You'll probably need a digital voltmeter with at least 2 decimal digits to detect the subtle differences.

If things are just a little marginal how about reducing the plug gaps. Maybe drop from 25 thou down to 20 thou.

HTH

Peter
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't occur to me until I'd put the new motor into the Sprite that it may have improved the starting on the special. It's a pig of a job to change and I was being lazy hoping someone might know. Of course checking the relative voltage drops on one, or the other, in the same car would give a clear indication of which draws the least current. The disc commutator motor is, of course, shorter than the other but the armature and field coils seem to be the same size. Perhaps the efficiency is the same.
In the end I shall probably have to do as you suggest Peter. Many thanks.

And thanks UKDave I have no spec as the motor has been used. Like you, I studied electrical engineering and the family firm are involved with the repair of motors, but these are AC and I'm not up-to-speed anymore on DC motors. Confused

Don.
Mog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love A.C. speed controllers, when you can crank them up to 100 hz. It has saved me many hours of work to get the exact speed I want. We had to stir up some heavy mineral slurry , after 1 hour at 50 hz. nothing was happening. So at about 80 hz. it was all stirred up in 10 mins. !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: