classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Which Austin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Which Austin? Reply with quote

This car has come up for sale here. Is there anyone that can tell me the exact year and model of it please? I think that I know, but I'm not certain.

andycars

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a circa 1937 Ten Cambridge to me. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a couple more have answered, I'll tell you what it is being advertised as..... Shocked
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to be sure of the size but I would plump for a Cambridge.. it could possibly be a twelve but I don't think so.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it is a 10HP Cambridge as it does not look big enough to be the next model up, the Austin 12 Ascot. I have personal experience of these cars as my father bought a 1939 Ascot in 1947 when I was a boy and it was a great car.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a 12 it is not. That was the first car I ever restored,and I still remember the details.

I'm in agreement with the rest of you, that it is a 10.

As you may notice from the photo, it is n a dealers showroom. Its being advertised as a 7.....

Rotarybri, was the 12 an Ascot (with the 6 cylinder) or the smaller 1535cc ''light 12''? it was a light 12 that I restored, everyone called it an Ascot back then...even though it wasnt!
Roverron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin 10 Cambridge. Look at the interior mirror, it's shaped the same as the rear window. A nice original touch.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I should buy it as a 7, then take the dealer to court and get my money back, keeping the car of course. Laughing

How can we trust dealers that dont even know what they are selling?
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:

Rotarybri, was the 12 an Ascot (with the 6 cylinder) or the smaller 1535cc ''light 12''? it was a light 12 that I restored, everyone called it an Ascot back then...even though it wasnt!

UJ,

I went to a classic car show a few years ago at Wroughton Airfield and there was a guy there with an Austin 12, which he called an Ascot. I looked inside and there was no way that we could have seated 4 adults and 4 children, as we used to, with myself and a cousin sitting on stools between the front and back seats!

I guess that ours was the six cylinder version. It was registered FK 9295 if anyone knows what happened to it.

By the way UJ the car for sale in Sweden is pictured on the Wikipedia site. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_10_hp and it is the fifth car down and is identified as an Austin 10 there.
Geoffp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had a 1937 Austin 12 Ascot, which was the larger version of the 10 shown, for many years. I could hardly see out of it when he bought it, but I ended up learning to drive on it Smile

It was a four cylinder, smaller than the earlier heavy 12, which I think also powered London taxis. At the same time my uncle owned a 14/6 Goodwood, which had a longer bonnet to fit the six-cylinder engine but was the same from the windscreen back. It also had 'Austin Six' in script on the radiator grille, but the 12 just had 'Austin'

Geoff
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, anything else interesting (or mis-described!!) in that garage??

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: