classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cheapest classic cars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
LawrenceW

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's given me some ideas. I might just have to make friends with some mechanics in the next few months to make sure I can keep whatever I buy on the roads. Very Happy
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get yourself a car and are stuck I am sure the lads on the Forum will guide you through any problems you may have.........good luck.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add two pence to this one Lawrence, it really depends on what you want to do with the car. I take it you are a young person and that will drive your choice. Classic cars do take money to run and in some cases lots of it. A decent respray is over a grand! so if you can't paint dont buy one that needs a respray, or be prepared to run it looking distressed. If you can't weld dont buy one with a complicated monocoque. etc. If you want a car which reminds you of your childhood, make a list of those that come to mind and then visit the owners club web sites to get a feeling of what goes wrong etc.
I reckon that the Herald family is quite a good choice. You may have to spend some time and money on the chassis (but it has one!) the mechanics are simple and the bonnet allows you to attack most things from an arm chair! Beware of its peculiar suspension though.
One final comment, visit jowett.org forum and look at the postings by Alan Bartlett, who is 19 and inherited his family's 1935 car knowing nothing about it or cars. Today it's on the road and he knows a lot about it because he has done it himself!
chevy49-pickup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i am looking at a cheap classic as a daly runner . so a viva hc up to 72 very good ones for £600 to £1600 and was going to put a cav 1.7 td engine a wee tune 120hp Laughing 55 to 60mpg free road tax and your laffing Cool Laughing nice wheels and sitting low
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: