classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Armstrong Siddeley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Roverron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Armstrong Siddeley Reply with quote

Sometime before the Second World War a friend of mine saw a local garage was selling 2 cars. One was an Austin 12, the other an Armstrong Siddeley. The Armstrong Siddeley had no drive (the engine ran) and none of the mechanics were brave enough to investigate the pre-selector gearbox. So the garage was selling the Austin & the Armstorng Siddeley as a job lot just to get rid of the A/S.
Stan bought both the cars as he thought it was too good to miss, he was driving the Austin off the forcourt when the garage owner stopped him and asked if he was coming back for the A/S with a trailer.
'No, I'll come back on the bus,' Stan replied.
'But you can't drive the A/S,' protested the man.
'Yeah, see you in a bit,' Stan said before driving off.
When he went back he bought a pint of oil from the garage poured it in the fluid flywheel of the A/S and drove off.
Stan's dead now but he never forgot the look on the mechanics' faces or indeed the look on the garge owner's face. I expect there was some strong language used by the garage owner to his dim mechanics
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe always nice to get one over on the garage trade!!

I did something similar with an old Volvo 760 estate we bought to move house (and trailers) with. The auto box was slipping a bit, so it came for a hundred quid or so on ebay. All it needed was topping up, and it ran fine thereafter Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the trade! One of the best buys I ever had in my more impoverished years, was a Morris Marina which the very knowlegable!!!! owner wanted out of the way because the gearbox was on its last legs. A 75p wheel bearing rendered it reliable for 3 years till I sold it for about 10x what I payed. Moral is never argue with an expert!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: