classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alternator for a 1947 Morris 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
1stpop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Alternator for a 1947 Morris 8 Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what kind of alternator would fit on a morris 8? I've looked at the dynalite ones and they look great but the price is another thing!!!!! any suggestions?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1st Pop fit a Lucas ACR, the dynalite ones are expensive and also look like the later Lucas dynamo not the C45 dynamo as fitted to the Series E.

You can also use the original bracket with a small amount of packing.I'll be in the garage later today and the dynamo is off my Morris 8 SE, it will take me about 2 mins to fit an alternator, I'll post a pic later.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a lucas 18 ACR fitted to the Morris, you are best keeping the original pulley as the fan mounts directly on it.

You may need to make a shoulder for the shaft depending on which dynamo is currently fitted.

you can use the original bracket with a packing spacer as I did or modify it to fit the alternator.

I used the original fan belt with an MGB bracket on the 3 rd fixing, a longer fan belt would be better as the alternator is a bit close to the water outlet on the cylinder head.

About 10 mins work to fit, and you will need another 5 to wire in Very Happy

The other thing you will have to do is make the car -ve earth.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These alternators and lesser powered but similar suzed ones were fitted to all sorts of British cars from the early 70's to 1980''s eg Minis.
Later versions were very similar too - eg A100 series.

Land Rover dealers sell these for approx £35 new although they may be Lucas they are now made in China
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

the one I used is this example is a £35 china job (well I assume its China given the price), if you open it up it is identical to the Lucas acr, same brushes, rectifier slip ring etc, and even has "lucas" cast in the main frame in the unit, so I suspect someone must have aquired the original tooling? it has no brand name on the outside case.

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds the same - I had heard they had acquired the tooling - at least its another source of parts at good prices
Land Rover S2 & S3
1stpop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this UK - really helpful (as always) - what did you do about the fuel pump and gauges when you changed to - earth? Also have you gone to 12V?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel gauge will work either way Ammeter has to have leads swapped over and fuel pump may work if it has no diode in it just try it. IOf it does not sometimes just reversing the diode will work.

Coil on your car may just require CB and SW swaping over although a modern +/- will give better spark
Land Rover S2 & S3
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1stpop wrote:
thanks for this UK - really helpful (as always) - what did you do about the fuel pump and gauges when you changed to - earth? Also have you gone to 12V?

Hi I have not converted mine, it will stay at 6v as I don't plan to use it much at night. You posted this thread just in the middle of me removing the engine so it was easy to put the alternator on.

For ref, its a lucas ACR unit which as Phil has pointed out are availble new now for about £35, an MGB link bracket & the standard fan belt (although a longer one would be better)

To move to 12v you to will to change the fuel pump, a morris minor one would be fine, and if you can get a morris minor or mini fuel gauge (the one that is fitted in the speedo) you will find it will fit in the Morris 8 cluster, you can swap the gauge face as well.

Cheers Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mini fuel gauge is a 10v stablised unit so the voltage stabiliser (a small oblong metal cannister usually on the back of the instruments or a modern electronic one - see Ebay as Land Rovers had these too) and I would expect the actual tank sender would be required. This may not fit easily so the existing set-up in its entirety may be the better bet.

Stabilsed instruments are easy to tell as these take approx 30 secs to reach correct level unstabilised which were most common till early 1960's give instant reading which fluctuates as the petrol sloshes around
Land Rover S2 & S3
1stpop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't realize (thick or what!) that I could stay with the 6v - If I do stay with the 6v do I keep the control box? Think it would make sense to maybe stay with 6v

On my pop I just needed a voltage dropper for the fuel gauge when I went to 12v.

My plan was to use the same voltage droppers for all the gauges - and the fuel pump idea is a brilliant suggestion. Lots to think about and plan over the next few weeks!

Will probably go for the 12v option as I'm gonna have to re-wire the whole car anyway.

will look into investing in a simple car wiring book - lol
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are moving to an alternator I'd also move to 12v to keep thing simple.

Dave
1stpop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I move to 12V Dave would you recommend the same dynamo? I also presume that I would just run everything directly from the battery via a fuse box.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fit a lucas ACR alternator, as in the pics, cheap reliable and have all the control built in, just 2 wires out , one the main output and the other the ignition warning lamp.

Cheers Dave
1stpop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger!!! got the 18ACR alternator but the pulley from my old dynamo is too 'fat' to fit - can't get the nut on without taking the fan part of the alternator off. My own pulley has some smaller fans on the back of the pulley though - i this going to be ok? anyone got an opinion? will try and stick a picture on so you can all see what I mean.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: