classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

bureaucracy - aaarrghhh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: bureaucracy - aaarrghhh Reply with quote

Council tips (aka 'recycling centres')

Recently paid a visit to a local tip with some stuff piled up in the back on the '55 pickup. Unfortunately despite being my closest tip, I was advised on arrival that I could only dump stuff if I was in my car, as it was across the boundary in another council area. If I had lived in that council area, I'd have to apply for a pass if I wanted to use my old pickup, or a trailer, to bring the junk over. In the end I had to park outside the gate, and carry the junk from the back of my small pickup, over to the skips. The fella there said that all registration numbers are recorded in a database, via CCTV, and they'd get it in the neck if they were seen on camera allowing someone from outside the area, without a pass, depositing rubbish at their facility.

The following week, I applied to dump some stuff with my trailer at the tip further away from us, but within our council area. We had to apply for passes in advance, providing details such as the car registration, the size of the trailer (upto 1.2m long, 1.2m to 2.5m long, or over in which case I wouldn't get a pass anyway), the type of rubbish, whether the car had any livery on it, and so on. We received three passes in the post a couple of days later, which expire in March 07. Apparently we're only allowed 3 such trailer trips in any one year, and I'd have to apply again if I needed some more passes after the March cutoff for the current ones.

Until recently we could just turn up in any vehicle, trailer or not. Good service, no?

The reasoning behind all this is to stop a tiny percentage of rogues dumping stuff commercially, and avoiding paying for proper disposal. But all this bureaucracy must surely be costing a bomb to run and maintain???!?!?

So what if I deposit stuff at my nearest tip, even if its over the council border?? surely some residents in that area, deposit rubbish across the border in the next area to them, and so it goes on, so must surely balance out??!??!?? I can't help thinking that bogging down the system like this will lead to fly tipping, dissuading some from bothering to go through the correct channels prior to making a tip trip. If I'd loaded up a trailer, but not known about applying for passes in advance, I'd be really peeved if I had to come back home with all the junk in the back still, and have to apply for a ^&&*&^ pass just to use the local facility the following week.

Nice to know our substantial monthly council tax is providing us with such a great service!!!!

rant over

Rick

Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, it makes me happy to know that there is somewhere else that has stupid rules and regulations regarding rubbish.

I'll tell you the situation here. As you know, I live in the country. Up until last year, I took my rubbish to the nearest tip, which is in the next council area. A journey of 6 miles in each direction. Then, enviromentalists* got the balance. This group then decided that permits were needed. But these could only be issued (of course) to residents of that area.

Now, I have to take rubbish to the next nearest tip. 12 miles away. In each direction. What happens when I get there? Well, because I use my pickup, I can take a good load. But, because of this, I have to either take one type of rubbish at a time or pay a fee, because its not sorted! Even after paying the fee for 'unsorted' rubbish, I have to sort it into the separate containers! If these are full, which they often are, even after paying the fee, I have to take the rubbish back home, and pay again the next time!

How enviromentally conscious is that?

*Enviromentalist: Town dweller that thinks a cow is a bus with no windows Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Which tip do you go to? My dad allways goes to the tip near where he works in shropshire and as you know we live in cheshire he is in a car but has no problems actually he is allways greeted by the chirpy helpful staff?

Cheers

dave
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB, yeah if you're in a car its not a problemo, its when you want to use a pickup, or tow a trailer full of junk that the red tape kicks in

RJ

PS still working on er indoors and you-know-what Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose everyone does realise that these recycling centres are not to help the environment, but just to gather more taxes? Or am I just being anarchistic?
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't pay (directly) to use the recycling places in the UK, only indirectly via the usual council tax.

Watching a thing on the TV about a recycling centre, I couldn't help wondering how much energy this vast factory was using, but sure the benefits outweigh the disadvantages..

at least running older cars we're recycling them, rather than automatically scrapping old ones and replacing with new!

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really referring to the fact that it costs fuel, etc. to drive backwards and forwards.

When I used to live in the UK, we would always give gratuities (can't say 'tip' can I?) to the 'binmen. That would ensure that they would take away everything, which is far more practical than today.

In Germany, I know that they did, but I'm not sure if they still do, collect all the rubbish, and then have professional Sorters at the tips. That does sound like a better alternative. Or?
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup sounds like the German approach was better. We get a snotty sticker on our domestic bin if we dare to have so much stuff in the bin, that the lid doesn't shut dowm completely. If it sticks up an inch or so, you can be reprimanded

There was a hoohaa recently because it turned out that our domestic recycling bins contained a sneaky bug, that measured the weight of the bin when it was lifted into the bin wagon, presumably logging the info somewhere. Wasn't too difficult to remove though

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't surprise me. Here, they even have cameras in the lorry to check that everything has been sorted! Exclamation
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats our queen george the "w" looking for WMD's !!! Orwell was right! big brother watching every movenment. Hey have you see osama? What a joke! Luckily we are heavily armed, government moves slow as not to get blown away. Take care! tt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: