classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

starter for engine swap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: starter for engine swap Reply with quote

i am going to be swapping my 998cc mini engine for a metro 1275 engine, the engine was in my car before (before i bought it though) so it has the right mounts and everything. i am a little confused because of the starter motor/clutch.

both engines have a verto cluch (small lever out side the casing), the 998 has a pre-engaged starter, but the flywheel on the 1275 has 107 teeth, which is common for a pre-verto....

anyone give me any advice? i would like to keep the pre-engaged starter, but i could fork out and get an old inertia styled one

thanks
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finch,

Normally pre-engaged starters have a chamfer on the flywheel facing forward. The inertia starters have the chamfer on the rear. The chamfer is to help the pinion teeth mesh easily. If the flywheels are not swappable then fit a new ring gear to the flywheel you need but with the chamfer reversed.

Art
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm is it hard to fit a new ring-gear, or would it be easier to fit a new small gear to the starter?
arossco

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-engaged starter meshes with the front of the ring gear but the inertia starter meshes from behind - so changing the only starter gear would not be enough.
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my mind (i am daft though), the verto flywheel from my998 should be the same as the flywheel from my 1275 (also a verto), the only diff being the ring-gear. could i not take take the flyweel of the 998 and put on the 1275?
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could I not take take the flyweel of the 998 and put on the 1275?

Finch,

I said that. They would have to be the same tooth count and diameter tho'. Is the flange hole for the starters the same diameter on both blocks??

Art
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i misread what you said.

em i dont know about the starter holes, would need to see when the 998 comes out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: