classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radio always live or switched on ignition key?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Radio always live or switched on ignition key? Reply with quote

Chaps, I'm installing a radio into the Aston tomorrow and wondered wat your thoughts are on wiring it permenantly live i.e. switched on at the radio or wired via the ignition key so it goes off on the ignition? I can see pros and cons to both, what are your thoughts? Confused Rich...
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I reckon thru' the ignition is the safest. I had a Citroen once that was live all the time and I had turned the volume down for some reason. I came back to a flat battery.

Art
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cars even from late 50's onwards had an Accessory terminal on the ignition switch which allowed the radio to be used with ignition off so as not to burn out the coil. A Lucas substitute can be fitted if not.

Its not agood idea to have to permanently live as it is too easy to leave it sitched on which can ruin both radio and flatten battery.

It really depends if you only want to have the radio on when driving
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Something I have allways meant to do is put a kill switch in on my cars, so you could have things like that live, and then take the kill key out and you know you won't have any issues, this also helps with security, in an emergency and also if such things like the trottle gets stuck, you don't want to be turning the key with vehicles with steering locks, as if you turn it too far, you can't steer! hehe

If you are going live, make sure you have a good battery, as there will be a time you nip into the shops, and it is left on, or maybe it is a better bet to have it on the ignition, then again it depends on what you use the radio for, I mean you don't want to have everything switched on just to listen to the radio, etc!

Hmm, I am not helping here am I!? I think I will pop of to bed!

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wire mine to the accessory position on the ignition switch, and as has already been said you can replace your ignition switch with one that has this option.

Otherwise it is something else to remember to switch off when ever you leave the car.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, the concencus seems to be wired through the ignition. That's what I'll do. Chat later to let you know how I get on! Smile
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a good day fitting this as neatly as possible. worst part was getting the speakers hidden away up under the dash because there is so little space but I really didn't want to cut holes in the doors! Got there in the end but working upside down under the dash in the footwells made me feel sea-sick and I'm only just getting over it now! Still got wiring to do but that's easy! More tomorrow... Smile
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not keep a permanent live to your radio you will have to re-tune it every time you turn your engine off. Read the instuction manual.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted my radio to permanent live as I often sit with the engine off and listen to it...
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
If you do not keep a permanent live to your radio you will have to re-tune it every time you turn your engine off. Read the instuction manual.
Thanks for that gem Nic but no worries I do tend to read the instructions before embarking on any project on my cars Rolling Eyes The reason I asked was curiosity; the instructions suggest it should be wired to the switched side of the ignition which is in any case what I have done.

Regards the memory, it doesn’t have one. Laughing It's a 1950's Radiomobile valve radio, adapted to modern internals to provide FM/AM reception with an auxiliary input for an iPod. It's been fitted with a polarity inverter for my positive earth electrics and looks the part perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: