classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Goodwood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Goodwood Reply with quote

Went to the Festival of Speed yesterday. In a word - FANTASTIC!
The sights, the cars, the place, but most of all, the SOUND!
As you may have guessed, I'd not been before, and I may not go again, but boy, I'm glad I went.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been for years since bloody safety rules meant we couldn't stand next to the straw bales. Similarly, it seems to have turned into a big corporate hospitality event. Is it any wonder I wrote an article about it referring to the Festival of Greed?

Also, rumours that even for the Revival it is suggested that participants make a "donation" of £1,000, or so I heard at Le Mans Story last weekend.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I read about £1k being required for anyone wanting to compete at the Revival - £ouch! not sure if I read it on Atlas F1 or on the VSCC forum.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jonv8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in the politics of event such as this,I had a very interesting day out,on a free ticket.To see some of the views I did have a look at; http://picasaweb.google.com/AllyV8/20090704GoodwoodFestivalOfSpeed#
victor 101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, (liked those model racing motorcycles, pic's 198/9) and on the subject of a £1,000 fee to compete, I doubt anyone needed to go cap in hand to raise it, and it ensures you get the best vehicles and drivers for us to enjoy.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think that is the point. Yes, the Revival (and I was one of the original Goodwood Supporters Association members back then) is a fabulous event, but it has always been understood that the Festival raised enough money to fund the Revival. Now another 1/4 mill is being raised. probably to fund the extravagant Saturday theme night. It's that I object to. This year, for the first time since the Revival was relaunched in 1998, I shan't be going. I'm going back to another great event held the same weekend - the Tour des Remparts at Angouleme. Great fun, accessible, and not at all expensive like the Revival. Just the cost of food and drink for the three days at Goodwood can pay virtually the weekend at Angouleme. I haven't been for nearly 15 years, and I hear it calling.
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met our very own admin and forum boss "RICK" at Revival a few years back Very Happy Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: