classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah rick did say something. I have sent you a personal message.

Cheers and look forward to meeting you!
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: resto book Reply with quote

Rick good idea on the book i also am keen to find inventive methods to save money mainly because i dont have any so use materials that are available that i can recycle.As to the problem of stuck wheel cylinders i have a sure fire method that i have used that works well havent had any problem with unseizing difficult cylinders.The open ended type arent that difficult usual crc and a bit of heat and gentle tapping either end normally works the tricky ones are the single end type ones as in morries etc my method that i came across through trial and error was heating hydralic oil near to boiling point and dropping the complete cylinder in for about 5 minutes gently tapping the cylinder on some wood to dislodge the steel piston retry if the cylinder is still stuck this method has worked on all but one and on that one i banged it too hard on some concrete so recommend using the wood method.The heat softens up the aluminium case so be careful my first brew was turpentine and oil but the hydralic oil is safer and just as good.Both methods worked but stick to the hydralic oil.By the way the oil column heaters use hydralic oil which i picked up from the local recycling for nothing no point in buying it.Let the group know how you get on one draw back with the oil method is that mineral oil destroys rubbers so the washers will need to be replaced and the cylinder and parts need to be properly degreased and then cleaned in brake fluid before reassembling.Hope you find this helpful.brent nz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: