classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin window rubbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Austin window rubbers Reply with quote

Can anyone advise how to replace the main windscreen and rear screen rubbers on a 1953 Austin Somerset?

Also, there are various outlets on the web that provide suitable relacement rubber, so who in your opinion/experience are the best value?

While I'm asking, I also have a Phase II Standard Vanguard that needs door window/weather strips fitting. Having looked at all the weird and wonderful shapes available I don't know which to buy!
I'm not concerned with originality, just a good window weather seal that is easy to fit and will prevent my doors rusting is what I'm after...any ideas?
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nail

I've not bought any A40 rubbers so can't really recommend any suppliers. Is this another Phase 2 or the blue one you sent me the story about??

cheers
Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same one mate.

I sold it on ebay to protect it from the elements as I have no room in the garage, but when the buyer came to collect it he saw my 103e Popular and immediately fell for it, he ended up taking that instead!

Therefore I still have the Vanguard which I'm secretly pleased about, I'm now just hunting down some kind of portable garage solution to put it out of the weather and it needs new exterior weather strips as it is still in (almost) daily use.

The Somerset is on the drive covered over with a temporary polythene gazebo!
The car has spent many years in dry storage and as a result is absolutely solid, the drawback being that both screen rubbers are perished and leaking, I just want to make it watertight before further damage occurs.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe ah right, I thought he bought the Vanguard and the Pop!

yeah getting the Somerset watertight is going to be important isn't it. Theres a place out in Oz called Scotts Rubber Products, or something like that, and they have a lot of seals and the like. You could try posting on the Austin Counties forum too, I post from time to time about my Devon, and there are some knowledgeable bods on there

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Austin_Counties_Cars_News/

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did know about scotts but didn't want to have to wait for items all the way from Oz.
I've now found a few uk suppliers I just wondered if anyone had any tips as to re-fitting the glass i.e. do I use a sealant? If so which?

Pete
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: window rubbers Reply with quote

The window rubbers for the austin a40 somerset and the vanguard are quite different the vanguard has a rubber insert that pushs in on the outside that holds the windscreen in whereas the austin type holds itself in on its own.The vanguard needs a special tool to fit the rubber insert in same type of windscreen set up as the a40 sports.I also have both style cars a 51 devon and a 59 vanguard phase 3 a marvelous ute really well built alot of work to do on it.It would be worth getting parts from scotts auto rubber although i am surprised parts arent avail in the uk.Temporarily to stop any leaks in the austin some atv sealant would do until you arrange to get the proper seals.I have manuals on both for windscreen replacement if you need further info.I am also a member of the austin counties link that was mentioned and just gave another member help with a windscreen replacement for an earlier model devon.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: windscreen replacement Reply with quote

Old nail this site goes through the window replacement of a mercedes the principles and methods are the same as the austin it will give you a clear idea on what you need to do.
nzhttp://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/maintenance/glass.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: