classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Coachpainters art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: The Coachpainters art Reply with quote

Hi Rick/all

I stumbled across this site recently and found it quite interesting.

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/

For those of you that are restoring commercial vehicles it gives an insight into the traditional coachpainters techniques and materials.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach painting is really interesting, I will have a really good look at that site. Thanks for sharing the link!

Cheers

Dave
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met a guy at a rallie in the summer who had coach painted his Austin seven, the finnish was like nothing Ive ever seen before. Very tempted to do my P3 Rover with coach paint when its ready to be done. Steve
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: coach painting Reply with quote

Old nail thanks for coach painting site very interesting it looks like a good option for older cars a tip i picked up from a professional spray painter who painted during the 50s and 60s with enamel paints if the paint is warmed before painting it flows much better either spraying or brush painting.They hand painted a land rover by brush and the painted flowed leaving no marks.Using an old brush would also be best as no loose bristles and if bristles are uneven less likely also to leave brush lines.Site was worth reading good information had read up on penetrol or owatrol was mentioned as an additive as it helped the paint to flow.What was not mentioned about it is that it is great for rust control on its own and better paint cover also brilliant for better adhesion when painting over varnished doors without removing the varnish proffesional painters use it all the time when painting a trade secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: